Sr. Technical Program Manager, Data Platform
About the Role
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role executing high-impact org-wide initiatives and continuously improving processes to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations.
A TPM in this role will structure and drive large complex cross-team technical initiatives in Data Infrastructure spanning Capacity, Efficiency, Reliability, Data Quality, Cloud, Security, Compliance, etc to name a few.
Specifically, the TPM will own the problem space, work closely with engineering/product leads to conceptualize solutions, organize/align multiple engineering teams for delivery and drive execution leveraging milestones/KPIs. She/he will look for ways to standardize, ensure execution is efficient and consistent, and set accountability by tracking progress, resolving dependencies, identifying issues, evaluating risks and communicating status to upper management and project stakeholders. The TPM will intrinsically act as a coach to engage and energize the product and engineering teams to achieve aggressive goals.
What you'll do
TPMs move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with partners at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity. TPM work involves the following:
- Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives . Partner with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define landmarks and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project partners. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Get results proactively.
- Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives . Collaborate with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define landmarks and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project partners. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key partners to develop concepts for critical initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and standard methodologies that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
What You'll need
- Proven experience of 5+ years as a TPM or Engineering Manager in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment.
- Strong technical experience in large distributed systems, Data Warehousing, Data Lake at scale
- Experience in Big Data ecosystem, i.e. large scale Data Analytics using Hadoop, Hive, Kafka, Spark, etc.
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges, and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and emotional intelligence.
- Proven strong cross-team and cross-org partner management. Ability to influence, motivate, and align people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Strong organizational skills to prioritise many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items.
- Analytical and truth seeking. Ability to understand sophisticated concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
- Metrics driven: Experience resolving effective program KPIs and using them to measure program success and issues.
- Experienced in project management. Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited.
- Excellent in identifying process gaps, measuring progress, and balancing engineering and product efficiency with process overhead.
- Be good at facilitating discussions. You get the right people in the room, let conversations run their course while they are productive, move them toward consensus when possible, and make hard decisions or call out, as required.
Bonus points if (optional)
- Computer Science degree, or related field.
- Worked at a high paced, fast growing, creative tech startup.
- Experience at an established company with a strong TPM team.
- Developer experience, including writing, testing and deploying code
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.