Sr. Software Safety Product Owner
Here at Uber's Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are on a mission to bring safe, reliable self-driving transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Toronto, and Boulder are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. We are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
Our System Safety team is charged with ensuring that at every stage of development, our self-driving vehicles are demonstrably safe when operating on public roads. We also hold primary responsibility for establishing durable specifications that will guide the integration of self-driving technology onto the Uber network at global scale.
About the Role
The role of the Software Safety Product Owner is to perform software system and subsystem integration to ensure proper system functionality. One will take a leading role in ensuring the self-driving system is able to preserve key functionality and continue meeting safety goals in the presence of faults, failures, and functional limitations
What You'll Do
- Responsible for requirements development (functional and technical), capability verification, risk management and backlog ownership through working with multi-disciplinary teams to resolve technical and programmatic issues.
- Bring together discrete systems utilizing a variety of methods including systems engineering, technical risk assessments, technical planning, V&V, and supportability and effectiveness analyses of total systems throughout the system life cycle.
- Perform analysis at all levels of total system product to include: software design and architecture, use-case definition, test, verification and validation.
- Influence and lead cross-functional teams to play a critical role in process and tool development, execution, and continuous improvement.
- Derive top-level safety goals and decompose to measurable subsystem safety requirements
- Collaborate with software SMEs to identify vital safety mechanisms and architecture improvements to achieve safety goals
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field preferred
- 5+ years of proven experience working in software engineering
- Strong technical background with familiarity in modern software integration, testing, and release processes.
- Solid understanding of algorithms and programming concepts in C++ and Python
- Experience with: Complex autonomous or automated systems, Developing and executing according to a product roadmap, Test automation, ML, HIL testing, Leading Risk assessments with HARA, FMEA, FTA, STPA, FHA, Working with products using Real Time Operating System (RTOS), Developing functional and/or architectural models, Safety standards, including: 61508, 26262, 62304, DO178, 61513, 61511, or similar, and Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) development tools
- Ability to: develop functional and behavioral requirements from high level requirements, derive and author technical requirements from functional requirements, and perform requirements analysis, integration, and verification of requirements traceability
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and evolving priorities
- Self-starter and able to work independently, communicate, learn, tailor and execute processes, and perform in a collaborative environment
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.