Data Science Manager
About the Role
The Safety and Insurance team at Uber is looking for an established leader to help build and scale a data science team in Brazil. Here you will have the opportunity to seek some of the hardest problems in all of Uber: improving the safety of cities and people all over the world. You will develop expertise and insights in a team that seeks to make rare events even rarer. It is an exceptionally exciting, stimulating, and, most of all, rewarding endeavor. Our team is currently looking for data scientists in the areas of Safety and Privacy.
You will partner closely with product management, operations, engineering, and local teams, conducting deep analysis, experiment design to test out novel ideas and develop and productionize predictive or prescriptive models to make our platform as safe as possible throughout the lifecycle of our users from when they attempt to sign-up and when they're using our platform. You will play an influential role in helping drive critical product and policy decisions.
What You'll Do
- Define the vision and strategy, and set ambitious goals for the Safety & Insurance DS/analytics team
- Recruit, lead and develop talented team of data scientists and data analysts
- Master safety-related data, risk factors, and outcomes in high and low resolution, such as before, during, and after a trip, and at coarser aggregations or spans of time and geography
- Develop and lead statistical and machine learning efforts in relation to your projects. Our projects use machine learning, experimentation, signal processing, time series analysis, geospatial analysis, natural language processing, and more. We'll give you as many challenges as you can seek and help you grow to tackle more
- Use large scale data processing such as Spark, Hive, and Uber's proprietary machine learning platform, and more
- Work with sensor and telematics data such as GPS and phone accelerometer & gyroscope data
- Conduct original analyses to advise and influence product, engineering, and operations efforts
- Handle stakeholder expectations across global product groups
What You'll Need
- Graduate degree in a quantitative field (PhD preferred)
- Leadership skills of people management experience
- Proven experience in experimentation (a/b, causal inference, synthetic control etc), sophisticated data analysis, and or building machine learning models
- Proven expertise and creativity in the application of machine learning and statistics
- Strong statistical and machine learning background
- Expertise with Python (preferred) or R
- Proficient in one or more of PyTorch, Keras, scikit-learn, Pyspark, ML-lib
- Proficiency with SQL and Hive / Spark (experience with streaming data a plus)
- Able to identify partners, establish relationships, and influence others to get work done
- Familiarity with code and programming concepts
- Experience with production systems or mobile signal processing is a plus
- Great interpersonal skills, organized, able to multitask and be a great teammate
- Balance attention to detail with swift execution
About the Team
The Safety Engineering team uses real-time telematics and motion sensing technologies along with multi-faceted machine learning algorithms and user-facing mobile products to reduce and prevent unsafe driving and behavior on the Uber platform. The team is building low-latency data streaming infrastructure that ingests terabytes of data daily before applying statistical modeling and signal processing algorithm, NLP auditing as well as facial biometrics recognition solutions. Our work touches all parts of the Uber experience from dispatch to on-trip and post-trip, as well as Uber's entire ecosystem ranging from our rides business to other newer Uber marketplaces, and ventures.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.