Staff Software Engineer
About the Role
Staff Engineers at Uber have an impact across a variety of business and technology decisions spanning projects and locations. We are passionate and pragmatic technologists who are able to design scalable systems while deliver efficient code. We are humble teachers, technically mentoring a team of talented engineers while also executing on delivering uniquely ambitious projects!
What You'll Do
- Provide technical leadership in designing, implementing, testing and rolling out the next generation features and capabilities.
- Collaborate with others, through smart technologists in other functions like machine learning, AI or data science, to responsible leaders across Uber. Build up positive relationships with people in the organization, meaningfully collaborating and building trust.
- Be a role model on acting with good judgement and responsibility. Engineers across the organization will look to you on how best to plan and execute on projects.
- Understand the business and identify strategically important problems, inefficiencies or opportunities for meaningful improvements. Drive alignment on how to seek these and deliver high leverage solutions on these at the group and organization level.
- Improving standard methodologies, producing best in class of code, documentation, testing and monitoring.
- Be a humble mentor and trusted advisor for both our hardworking team members and passionate leaders alike. Deal with a difference in opinions in a mature and fair way, helping teams to commit and move forward.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.).
- Strong engineering experience.
- Track record of building large-scale, highly-available systems.
- Experience with multiple programming languages and data stores. We use programming languages like Go, Java, Python and data stores like Cassandra, DynamoDB, Redis and others.
- Passion for driving continual improvement initiatives on engineering standard methodologies like coding, testing or monitoring.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
- Passionate about helping teams grow by inspiring and mentoring engineers.
Bonus Points If
- Contributed to the broader technical community through tech talks, publications, open source projects or other ways.
- Deep, industry leading expertise in one or more technology domains.
- Built large scale projects with stream processing and batch processing.
About the Team
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Safety Engineering team in Brazil, you will be an early member of Uber's first development center in LATAM. The work you do will initially focus on advanced technologies to improve safety around the world, such as advanced telematics, machine learning, high scale distributed systems, real time data processing and mobile development, among others.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.