Senior Manager, Engineering
About the Role
This is a rare opportunity to lead a team of talented engineers who are building next-generation financial & compliance platform experiences for millions of customers daily and changing how people experience their transactions within the Uber platform.
In this new Leadership role you will be tasked with building, mentoring, developing and growing a team of world class software engineers to design and build highly reliable experiences that are being used by millions of people every day.
Our bar for engineering quality is high: completeness and accuracy of data needs to be closely tracked and controlled, reliability and performance for billions of inter-system transitions needs to fall within tough SLAs, cost and sustainability of infrastructure kept under tight control. Adapting to an ever changing environment in a fully automated fashion requires solid, scalable designs and alignment across dozens of large systems. Solid testing and monitoring capabilities guarantee flawless experience and strict regulatory compliance fit. You will be expected to constantly raise the bar of your teams in all of those areas. Without the right people and an environment that sets them up for success this will be hard to achieve - you need to be on top of the problem and maintain the best possible health of your organisation.
You will be given the freedom to operate autonomously and you will be thoroughly supported to achieve great results. You will need to be able to build great relations, align and enable other teams in the US, India and Europe.
What You'll Do
- Lead and enable multiple teams of software engineers and people in various other supporting roles to make tangible progress on achieving product goals through the idea > plan > design > funding > development > experimentation > delivery > feedback lifecycle.
- Create and execute a clear long-term strategy for the technology enabling the flawless evolution of the products in Tax & Compliance, but also those depending on T&C across the core Uber platform.
- Manage healthy collaboration between functional areas, such as Product, Tax, Engineering, and Operations. Ensure flawless, predictable and efficient planning and delivery.
- Guide products' consumers and direct stakeholders in their successful use of our products and platforms in order to continuously improve adoption, customer satisfaction (CSAT) and impact to their business areas.
- Enable innovation and scale that impact return on investment.
- Maintain ways to objectively measure the performance state of the teams and practices that ensure continuous improvement at a charter, team and individual level.
- Manage the brand of your teams and attract great talent. Build a sustainable engineering organisation that can scale fast w/o risks of degrading the quality of the team. Maintain healthy seniority levels and leadership structure in your organisation.
- Be able to enable people across the entire vertical org structure: from specific teams to multi-level engineering organisations.
What you'll need
- Minimum 6+ years' experience as a manager and overall 10+ years of experience in building distributed, scalable, highly available, and robust services and web applications.
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science or a related field.
- Proven experience in building highly adaptable, fast-paced organizations (Agile, Lean, etc.).
- A passion for continuous improvement of yourself, your tech teams and the capabilities of those around you.
- Ability to contribute, influence and drive platform initiatives that can serve multiple product lines using multi-tenant, layered architectures following best practices in designing distributed systems.
- Bias for action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way.
- Mentorship/ Guidance. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, coaching, and reviewing, you help other individual contributors and leaders make sound decisions, improve quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Commitment. You care tremendously about keeping the Uber experience consistent for users and strive to make any issues invisible to riders/partners. You hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team's scope.
- Hiring know-how. You're a thoughtful interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team. You can articulate the team's challenges and growth opportunities to a potential candidate.
- Strategic mindset. You're comfortable thinking a few steps ahead of where the team is at now.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada