Staff Software Engineer - Core Platform
About the Role
The Compute, Foundations and Cloud team works on core components on which all other systems at Uber are built on. We power the infrastructure that runs all of Uber. If you are excited about running distributed systems at massive scale across multiple cloud providers and on prem hardware, come talk to us! We are looking for strong engineers to drive key initiatives and bootstrap the team in Bangalore.
Staff engineers at Uber have a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology decisions spanning multiple projects and locations. They are passionate and pragmatic technologists who are able to design scalable systems while delivering efficient code. They are not only collaborative role models, but also approachable thought leaders within a larger group. They are humble teachers, technically mentoring a team of talented engineers while also executing on delivering uniquely challenging projects. We are looking for someone with a passion for architecting, building and scaling highly-available, mission-critical systems that support millions of users on a daily basis.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced engineer who is collaborative, has a healthy sense of curiosity and acts with responsibility to join Uber, work with talented people across the board and help improve our next generation infrastructure systems, scaling it to the next level.
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
- You have a proven record of building and productionizing highly reliable infrastructure at scale.
- 12+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- Experience with Go, Java, or C++ (bonus points for more than one).
- Proficiency in Linux.
- Full-stack infrastructure knowledge.
- You have great interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a portfolio of successful execution. If you enjoy discussing anything from kernels to datacenters and you measure the success of your projects in "nines," then we want you on the team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
- Passionate about helping teams grow by inspiring and mentoring engineers.
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or equivalent.
- You can collaborate well with several product engineering teams to articulate requirements and system design.
- Ability to lead and guide excellent engineering teams.
- Ability to assess new technologies and make pragmatic choices that help guide us towards a long-term vision.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.