AI Research Scientist, Self-Driving
Here at Uber's Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are on a mission to bring safe, reliable self-driving transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Toronto, and Boulder are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. We are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
Our Research team is a group of diverse researchers, engineers, and computer scientists working to develop perception algorithms for self-driving vehicles. Reliability and scalability are key drivers for us as our software must perform across a large fleet of vehicles in complex and diverse operating areas.
About the Role
We are looking for Research Scientists to join our R&D team within Uber ATG. In this role, you will build the next generation of artificial intelligence algorithms to help Uber improve the lives of millions of people worldwide. You will collaborate and exchange research ideas with our current team, which includes world-renowned scientists specializing in deep learning, computer vision, and self-driving. You will also interact with the international research community by publishing research papers and attending conferences. We value original, high-impact ideas and meticulous experimental validation. Both senior and junior scientists are encouraged to apply.
What You'll Do
- Design, implement, train, and optimize novel algorithms that run at extremely low-latency on self-driving Uber vehicles and various production systems
- Utilize large datasets of various sources, including raw sensor data such as Lidar, using large GPU compute clusters
- Collaborate cross-functionally with research and engineering teams at Uber and communicate your work to colleagues and management
- Write patents and submit publications to top machine learning, computer vision, and robotics conferences
- A degree in a machine learning related discipline -- positions are available at the PhD, MS, and BS levels
- Knowledge of machine learning commensurate with education/experience level and a publication record as relevant to education level
- Excellent software development skills in C/C++ and/or Python
- A very strong quantitative background
- Machine learning areas of special interests include: CNNs, RNNs, distributed GPU computing, detection, prediction, motion planning, mapping and localization
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.