Head of Policy, Marketplace & Fairness
About the Role
As a Public Policy Manager, you will be Uber's connection between the best-in-class matching and pricing technology that powers Uber and the growing audience of policymakers, regulators, researchers, key opinion formers and the broader public. You are a leader and conduit for our global work.
You will lead global policy development on our marketplace with a focus on guiding the product team. Internally, you will orchestrate the integration of policy considerations into product development, and strengthen the integrity and transparency of our practices. You will work with cross functional partners to develop marketplace principles, as well as participate in processes that improve the operational functionality of our pricing, matching and positioning systems.
You will be responsible for the development of efforts to bring greater understanding of our matching technology amongst policymakers and regulators. This includes working with policy and operational partners throughout the world to develop globally scalable collateral, build ongoing third party partnerships, execute user engagement campaigns, webinars and training sessions, and facilitating user feedback.
You will partner with product, legal, finance, compliance, marketing, comms, and policy teams to coordinate engagement tactics, and drive awareness of our marketplace initiatives including current and future commitments. In this role, you will:
- Develop and lead the policy strategy to drive trust, fairness, accountability and transparency into our marketplace product team
- Work to deliver on Uber's principles and commitments as well as initiate new releases to build more credibility
- Lead product counsel on policy issues in relation to marketplace, including coordinating efforts across the Central policy and local government relations/public affairs teams
- Own external communications with the policy and academic community broadly and specifically in the areas of focus. In this capacity, you might (1) facilitate a recurring publication, webinar series or roundtable highlighting specific success stories, use cases and/or future product functionality, or (2) develop a panel of leading specialists to contribute their findings and key insights to Uber's marketplace
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience counseling clients on technology policy subjects and leading multiple business priorities
- 5+ years of proven experience in government, law, competition policy, digital marketplaces, consumer protection, or project management
- Strong interpersonal (verbal + written) skills
- Significant analytical experience, including ability to analyze data to identify trends and implications, and ability to construct forward-looking models that can inform policy positions
- Understanding of AI and ML practices and the underlying technology, as well as AI governance models
- Working familiarity with ethics, human rights, and inclusivity frameworks and experience using them for technological applications
- Ability to drive cross-functionally and build positive relationships with internal and external partners
- Experience in the technology sector is preferred and experience in a marketplace business is strongly desired
- Advanced degrees (e.g., JD, MPP, MBA) preferred
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
The Central Public Policy Team has a global remit and is responsible for developing solutions to policy opportunities and regulatory challenges in issue domains that impact on our global business. Working closely with on-the-ground Public Affairs and Government Relations and cross-functional partners we develop best in class policy solutions backed by meticulous research and data. The team also provides strategic advice and guidance to Tech and Product organizations as well as key executives in the execution of our business goals.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.