Sr Software Engineer (Architect) - Maps
About the Role
This position is in the Places team, part of India Maps team. Maps plays a foundational role in Uber; many of the core Uber product functions are built on top of Maps functionality directly or indirectly. India Maps team develops high-priority, critical pieces of functionality for the Maps organization, working on a variety of things like Places, Maps Intelligence, algorithmic map error detection, global scaled solutions, etc.
The Uber Places team builds an Uber owned dataset of business information and address information that powers the critical functions of Search for destination for a trip, restaurants for Eats, etc. We do this by processing low quality data from a multitude of vendors, improving its quality using a combination of algorithms and human power. We have built a multi-channel editing platform that merges signals from human operators edits, algorithmic edits, provider edits to create a high quality production places dataset. This requires us to build complex workflows of operations, data flow, builds, quality control and deployment.
The Places data and platform forms the One Data Platform, designed to meets the needs of Places and Addresses data company-wide. The range of work comprises from building scalable big data (Hadoop, Spark, etc) processing to building data analytics/mining/management features to creating scalable services that move millions of people around the world as well as creating tools that allow in-house users to visualize the data and improve our products.
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
A successful Maps engineer would be:
- Savvy with real-world algorithms
- Experienced building scalable, sound architectures and reliable, high performance applications that work amazingly well in the complex real world as well as stand the test of time.
- Experienced with large-scale distributed storage and database systems (SQL or NoSQL, e.g. MySQL, Cassandra)
- Adept at big data processing with some experience in Spark, Hadoop and/or MapReduce technologies.
- Able to independently drive multi-location projects that require digging into complex technology stacks Bonus points for Geospatial experience: Familiarity with geospatial datasets and services, such as maps, local search, points of interest and business listings data, mobile device location and GPS traces would be a plus but is not required.
Why join us:
- Truly unique set of problems. The nature of Uber's business imposes a distinct set of constraints on Maps that cannot be found elsewhere.
- Teammates. Work with empathetic, smart and motivated teammates in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Impact. Mapping is central to Uber's success. You'll be working on mission critical projects that are visible both inside and outside of Uber.
- High scalability engineering. Build world class engineering for high throughput and low latency distributed systems. We take ownership in creating elegant and reliable code.
- Fun problem solving. We love solving challenging problems with cutting edge algorithms. We move fast and build things that have never been built before.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.