Sr Software Engineer II (Data Engineering), Global Intelligence
About the Role
The Global Intelligence Team focuses on improving Uber network efficiency and relative position in the category with better data and algorithms. The challenging problems include benchmarking Uber's position in the category, modeling complex market-level dynamics, rider and driver choices, cross-service decisions across rides/eats, and fine-tuning Uber's pricing with data/algorithms from this team. The data engineers on the team leverage massive amounts of internal and external data to address these challenges, building scalable engineering solutions.
We are looking for people who are passionate about solving challenging business/product issues with well-trained data engineering expertise; and who are enthusiastic about seeking the truth via deep-diving into the complicated structured and unstructured data.
What You'll Do
- Design and develop new systems to empower fast data-driven decisions
- Build distributed backend systems serving real-time analytics and machine learning features at Uber scale.
What You'll Need
- 12+ years of full-time engineering experience
- Expertise in one or more object-oriented programming languages (e.g. Python, Go, Java, C++) and the eagerness to learn more.
- Experience with large-scale distributed storage and database systems (SQL or NoSQL, e.g. MySQL, Cassandra)
- Experience with data-driven architecture and systems design
- Knowledge of Hadoop related technologies such as HDFS, Kafka, Hive, and Presto.
- Experience with large-scale data warehousing architecture and data modeling.
- Passion. You feel ownership over everything you touch. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage and you call something "done" only when these are in place.
- A team player attitude. You believe that you can achieve more on a team - that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement and you help others by returning the favor.
- BS/MS/Phd in Computer Science or related field required
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.