Tech Lead Manager (TLM) - AVMaps Core Self-Driving
About the Role
Uber ATG is looking for a Technical Lead Manager (TLM) with expertise in Computational Geometry, Robotics, and Software Systems engineering to join AVMaps Core team. As a TLM to the AVMaps Core team you will build and deliver the next generation of core platform that will build the AVMaps used across our fleet of self driving vehicles. The systems you are responsible for are fundamental for Uber's ability to scale up the self driving initiative and begin operating at scale.
What You'll Do
- Provide Technical Leadership in the areas of Computational Geometry, Robotics, and Enterprise Software Systems for an Engineering Team in Pittsburgh.
- Provide technical direction and hands on solving of technical problems in the area of mapping algorithms, perception sensor data processing, geospatial database design, and distributed systems
- Collaborate effectively and build relationships with ATG partners in Boulder, Toronto, and San Francisco
- Partner with technical leads across ATG and AVMaps to help identify opportunities, gather requirements, and lead a technology roadmap and vision for the team
- Define a vision and roadmap for a team working across multiple stakeholders
- 7+ years of experience with a track record of shipping high-impact engineering solutions
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of roboticists, computer scientists and software engineers
- People management experience nurturing careers, managing under- and over-performers, influencing cross-functional teams, recruiting and building teams
- Ability to work with Engineering leads across the ATG on architectures and database and system designs.
- Excellent programming and software engineering skills in C++/Python
- Experience in developing computational geometry algorithms, robotics, mapping technologies, or related technical fields
- Prior technical leadership and management experience
- Experience in algorithm design, mapping technologies, or related technical fields
- Familiarity with sophisticated, safety-critical software within automotive or another industry (e.g., aerospace, defense, medical, transportation)
- Exposure to automotive functional safety standards such as ISO 26262
- Business savvy -You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products
About The Team
Uber's ATG AVMaps team needs your skills building the advanced maps technology supporting our self-driving vehicles.
Currently, we are evolving our core mapping technology to drive improvements that will make our mapping technology and final product scalable as we increase diversity in our vehicle platforms and expand our geographic coverage.
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Boulder, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost-effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.