Motion Planning Engineer, Self Driving
About the Role
We're looking for Engineers who are interested in creating decision making software for autonomous vehicles. Motion planning is the brain of an autonomous driving system. It handles the reasoning for driving behaviors and is one of our core challenges for making a self driving system a reality. The team generates safe, comfortable and efficient plans for vehicle motion at Uber ATG.
Come join our growing team and help us build dynamic, high-fidelity, control and decision making algorithms for our self-driving cars.
What You'll Do
- Using real-world data gathered from over 3 million miles of autonomously driven roads, you will apply your knowledge of motion planning to help shape the behaviors of our self-driving Uber
- How do I execute a lane change? How do I safely pickup and drop off a customer? How do I behave when merging with other traffic?
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, Robotics, Math, Physics or related discipline
- Experience with one or more of the following: motion planning (especially kinematics and dynamics), controls or robotics
- Excellent C++ skills in a Linux or other Unix environment (4+ years in a commercial or academic graduate setting)
- Experience with programming for physical systems.
- Background involving optimization, physics, and/or computational simulation.
- Experience with scripting languages (preferably python)
- Experience with GPU programming and optimization
- Excellent communication skills especially with diverse groups of team including technicians, software and hardware engineers, as well as managers and executives.
- Proven ability to think analytically
At the Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Boulder, and Toronto are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. Our teams are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost-effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.