Senior Data Engineer - Self Driving
About the Role
Data is the fuel ushering Uber ATG into the self-driving future. The Data Engineering Platforms team provides a wide range of products that enable the organization to best use the vast amount of data it owns. Such products include platforms such as Analytics Platform, Log Mining Platform, Data Quality Platform, Data Pipelines Platform. Working in this team, you will have a unique opportunity for growth and impact as the team is rapidly growing and is highly impactful across all of ATG and many of its initiatives.
What You'll Do
- Develop methods to unlock access to data for stakeholders across Product & Engineering
- Design, build and launch efficient & reliable data pipelines to move and transform data (both large and small amounts)
- Optimize and maintain existing pipelines, build data quality measures, and set up pipeline integrity checks
- Work cross-functionally to define problem statements, collect data, and make recommendations
- Build data expertise and own data quality for allocated areas of ownership
- Develop and build pipelines for mining large amounts of data using innovating platforms owned by Data Engineering
- Work with different engineering teams to enable adoption of our platforms and integration of our systems and platforms with other products, and manage upstream and downstream dependencies
- Participate in periodic on-call rotations and be available for escalations
- Architect, implement and execute cloud-based data-driven solution in analytics domain
- Minimum BSc or equivalent in Computer Science, Math or other technical fields
- 4+ years of professional experience working with SQL and noSQL databases
- Experience with programming languages, especially Python (C++ is a bonus here)
- Experience with data architecture, data modeling, schema design and software development
- 4+ years professional experience in custom ETL/data pipeline design, implementation and maintenance
- Experience initiating and driving projects and communicating data warehouse plans to internal clients/stakeholders
- Experience with large data sets, big data technologies (notably Hadoop and Spark), and data visualization & BI tools
- Experience with streaming data processing methods and frameworks
- Experience with AWS cloud technologies and services (experience with analytics services and data lake concepts are bonus)
Here at Uber's Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are on a mission to bring safe, reliable self-driving transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Toronto, and Boulder are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. We are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
Our Software Engineering team has a fascinating, diverse mix of teams. From deep learning and neural networks, to robotics, maps, simulation, to security and data science; if there's a type of software you're interested in, we are probably doing it. Uber is uniquely well-positioned to bring self-driving to the world through its ride-sharing network.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.