Systems Engineer - Autonomy Systems
About the Team
The Systems Engineering & Testing (SE&T) team at UATG is charged with answering, "What does the system need to do, what is the architecture, how is it performing, and when do we release it?" We are the multi-functional, technical interface between Product, Safety, Hardware, Software, and Operations groups. Our goal is to ensure candid, holistic, and multi-functional design that optimizes across domains. We do this by analyzing data on where our vehicles operate, generating scenario and capability focused requirements with performance criteria, and collaborating closely with key partners and domain specialists throughout the organization to devise solutions. To evaluate our performance, we develop and execute a comprehensive strategy that combines simulation, laboratory / HIL, closed track, and open road testing. Finally, we believe in collaborating with and adapting industry standard methodologies while providing continuous delivery and improvement of our process, tools, and artifacts as we learn more about this evolving technology and industry.
About the Role
As a Systems Engineer you will work in a small, self-optimizing team passionate about delivering results!
What You'll Do
- Work in a small, self-optimizing team passionate about delivering results
- Collaborate with a diverse, multi-functional team across multiple geographic locations (in person and via video conference)
- Make sophisticated, data driven decisions
- Provide frequent and clear communication to other teams, peers, and external partners
- Directly author or support work products related to:
- Operational need analysis (concept of operations)
- System behaviors and architectures
- System modeling and change assessment
- Requirements (vehicle level, interfaces, sensors, power, mechanical, thermal, HW modules, etc)
- Interface definitions
- System level FMEAs
- Next generation system requirements
- Foundational processes and tools for technical data management and control (requirements tracking and traceability, system modeling, configuration and organizational change, etc)
- Become the domain specialist or point of contact on one more areas including: Product Requirements; Autonomy Capabilities; Deployment and Operations; Requirements; Behavior; and Architecture Modeling; Policy, Legal, and Standards; Safety; Next Generation Systems; Systems Engineering Tooling; Organizational Change; Software; Hardware; Key Subsystems (vehicle platform, sensors, computing, etc)
- Bachelor, Masters or PhD Degree in Engineering Systems, Computer, Software, Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics, Aerospace, Aeronautical, Biomedical, Computer Science or another relevant engineering/science field
- Minimum industry experience
- 5 years with Bachelors OR 3 years with Master OR 2 years with PhD (requirement may be waived for PhD graduates with highly relevant research specialization
- Fluency or deep proficiency in:
- Interactions between mechanical, electrical, and software components in sophisticated electromechanical systems
- Diverse testing methods including simulation, HIL, laboratory, track, and field testing
- Simply presenting sophisticated ideas to peers, management, and customers
- Written and verbal communication (including public speaking and external partner discussions with deference to intellectual property and business relationship considerations)
- Systems engineering through classical and/or model based approaches
- Previous experience and shown success collaborating with, influencing, and motivating people across a broad variety of job functions through relationships and emotional intelligence
- Effective adaptation of standard systems engineering processes to outstanding new technology applications
- Ability to adapt quickly and the confidence to invent where industry standard methodologies come up short
- Continually crafting a systems engineering framework to be complementary to, and augmented by, rapid system prototyping iterations happening in parallel
- Familiarity with multiple planning and development methods including Waterfall, Agile, Scrum, Continuous Integration, and V-Model
- Debugging and analyzing failures in electromechanical systems
- Vehicle electronics and networking (CAN, Power systems, Ethernet, PCBAs), manufacturing (CNC machining, 3D printing, casting, SM), and robotics or self-driving technology (sensors, computing, algorithms, actuators)
- Understanding of safety-critical autonomous/robotic hardware and software within automotive or another industry (e.g., aerospace, defense, medical, transportation, mining)
- Automotive standards such as ISO 26262, SPICE, AEC-Q100, etc
- Startups, fast-paced skunkworks divisions, or other non-traditional engineering environments
- Large scale companies and their engineering methods, processes, and team structures
- New product development or research and development
- Full product development lifecycle from initial concept to end-of-life
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.