Sr Manager, Engineering (Surge Pricing)
About the Team
The Surge (Dynamic Pricing) team, within the broader Marketplace group, ensures marketplace reliability when there are more riders than available drivers. Without Surge, trip requests will be unfulfilled once available supplies are used up, leaving the rest of riders stranded regardless of their willingness to pay and to wait. This would lead to unusable Uber experiences.
On the business side, this team generates billions of dollars in gross booking for the company by efficiently balancing between request conversion and rider welfare. On the technology front, this team defines reliability in Uber Marketplace's realtime pricing products, measures the gains and costs in trip throughput and rider welfare, and optimizes them in realtime (before rider shipping session converts), at scale (hundreds of thousands of decisions per second), through a data-driven approach. Specifically, this team collects user intent, processes this data through machine learning models and eventually makes the dynamic pricing decisions for each rider session.
About the Role
If you're seeking to join and grow a team spanning a diverse skill set across scalable distributed systems, online machine learning modelling and training, algorithms design and optimization, mobile development and iterations, and want to build and optimize the dynamic pricing brain to power the planet, then this job is for you.
As an Engineering Manager, you will be leading a group of engineering talents and working with data scientists to deliver dynamic pricing products directly impacting the ridesharing business.
- Setting the team vision. You understand the direction of the company, align and translate it into a team plan.
- Delivering business impact. You work with product and data science partners to come up with success metrics, come up with and execute on concrete action plans.
- Building and growing the team. You attract top talents to the shared vision of the team, create and refine the team structure to scale. At the same time, you mentor and coach individual contributors to grow both technically and managerially.
- Collaborating with and influencing other teams. You share and communicate roadmaps with external teams, understand and align team goals to collectively deliver results efficiently.
- BS/BE degree in Computer Science and related field.
- A minimum 5 years of management experiences in online ranking, recommendation and engagement related fields.
- Strong business acumen, preferably with proven records in optimization for business problems for large scale marketplaces.
- Solid understanding and hands-on experiences with training/serving/optimization and backend system development.
- Proficient in at least one programming language.
- Deep knowledge in combinatorial optimization.
- Experience in online predictions through common statistical and machine learning modeling and/or operation research optimization.
- Optimistic and charismatic. The candidate should be comfortable with and willing to collaborate with both individual contributor engineers and product managers across the company.
- Results-driven. Surge is a deeply technical team and we speak, live and breathe through results. The EM candidate should share the passion, with a strong focus on generating efficiency.
- Advance degrees are preferred but not required.
- 10 years of management experience in industry leading companies.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.