SE&T Safety Management System Business Partner (SMS BP)
Here at Uber's Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are on a mission to bring safe, reliable self-driving transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Toronto, and Boulder are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. We are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are essential to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
The System Safety team within Uber ATG is charged with ensuring that, at every stage of development, our self-driving vehicles are demonstrably free from unreasonable risk when operating on public roads. We also hold primary responsibility for establishing durable specifications that will guide the integration of self-driving technology onto the Uber network at global scale.
About the Role
The Safety Management System Business Partner (SMS BP) will support UBER ATG's SMS program by supporting a specific assigned ATG department (Systems Engineering and Testing) with the implementation and management of the department's SMS program, in alignment with the UBER ATG organizational SMS program. One will report to the safety department leadership and 'dotted line' to the departmental leadership. To ensure accurate and full coordination, the SMS BP will be expected to attend the departmental staff meetings, strategy sessions, and change discussion, etc.
What You'll Do
- Handle the departmental Risk Management, Safety Reporting, Investigations, and Safety Data Analysis and Trending
- Facilitate Safety Action Groups (SAGs),
- Prepare for departmental reports to the SRB (Safety Review Board), departmental Organizational Change and Continuous Improvement
- Coordinate external and internal departmental audit findings and actions, SMS gap analysis and implementation.
- Maintain a database of reactive and proactive risk controls, track-trend them and in coordination with the SMS Manager identify systemic issues across the company
- One will research and understand systems, identify hazards and moderate risk working sessions, in coordination with other Safety and departmental partners
- Design, implement, train, and optimize novel algorithms that run at extremely low-latency on self-driving Uber vehicles and various production systems
- Utilize large datasets of of various sources, including raw sensor data such as Lidar, using large GPU compute clusters
- Collaborate cross-functionally with research and engineering teams at Uber and communicate your work to colleagues and management
- Write patents and submit publications to top machine learning, computer vision, and robotics conferences
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering, management or technical field
- Previous experience within an SMS or QMS, including Internal Evaluation Programs, Quality Assurance, IEPs and audits.
- Experience working with safety data
- Proven experience in systems engineering
- Ability to learn quickly and incorporate findings rapidly
- Proven critical thinking skills in ambiguous environments, confident breaking new ground
- Proficient coordinating and facilitating high level meetings
- Proficient use of Microsoft/Google suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Knowledge of product development process
- Experience with safety critical systems
- Master degree or MBA
- Previous experience with ISO26262, EN61508 or SOTIF, functional safety, risk frameworks, MBSE, ML/Computer Vision/Predictive Algorithms, or performing SRAs
- Quality Management System knowledge
- Atlassian suite experience
- Cority experience
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.