Sr. Counsel - Privacy & Cybersecurity
Uber's Privacy Legal team is comprised of a diverse group of global professionals who manage data privacy by accounting for ethics, laws, business risks, and growth opportunities. Its mission statement is "We drive Uber's efforts to be a trusted steward of our users' personal data in every market where Uber operates."
Uber is changing the world, and we're looking for a Senior Privacy & Cybersecurity Counsel to help us do it. This role will work closely with teams throughout Uber, including Legal, Product, Security and Engineering, to ensure that privacy is built into our products and features, that we adhere to data protection laws globally, and that we maintain a culture of privacy within Uber. Uber's Privacy & Cybersecurity Legal team is based on out of Uber's San Francisco headquarters, and this position is open to candidates in San Francisco, New York, Washington, D.C., and Chicago.
What You'll Do
- Advise Uber's product teams, including those on Uber's rides and delivery businesses, regarding privacy-by-design and compliance with privacy laws
- Help drive compliance programs for privacy laws including GDPR and CCPA
- Advise Uber's Security and Privacy-Engineering teams about requirements for processing and securing our users' data, including regarding data collection, access, deletion and portability.
- Train Uber employees company-wide regarding privacy and data security requirements and standard methodologies
- Develop and drive implementation of external notices and internal policies and procedures
- Negotiate privacy requirements in third-party agreements
- 8+ years of experience, including in-house, privacy and/or product counseling experience.
- Strong technology lawyer with a wide range of knowledge and experience across the substantive legal areas relevant to privacy and data security.
- Strong knowledge regarding global privacy and data security requirements, particularly CCPA and GDPR.
- Admission in and good standing with one or more State's Bar.
- Knowledgeable about software development and generally tech-savvy.
- Excited to work in a fast-paced environment where innovating through cutting-edge legal issues is the norm.
- Collaborative, thoughtful, passionate about your work, and good sense of humor.
- Enthusiastic about Uber!
- CIPP certification
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.