Policy Engineer, Social License - Self-Driving
About the Role
As a Policy Engineer at Uber ATG, you will work closely with Uber's Policy, Federal Affairs, and Legal teams to better understand the goals of external stakeholders and policymakers in the self-driving space. In parallel, you will also work closely with Uber ATG's Engineering, Product, and Safety teams to understand the technology roadmap and any operational constraints, from a technical perspective. Well-prepared with knowledge from both sides, you will lead cross-functional groups towards reaching a common understanding of and resolution on key technical challenges across Uber ATG, such as autonomy capability and new feature development, compliance efforts, operational expansion within a city and in new cities, and new program development. This highly impactful work is deeply aligned with Uber ATG's goal to promote transparency within the industry to further the safe development of self-driving vehicles!
What You'll Do
- Become a cross-functional specialist within the organization, understanding and appropriately representing perspectives from a diverse range of partners and leading groups to resolution.
- Using your knowledge of the current self-driving regulatory landscape, find opportunities within the organization where new technical solutions can better address existing needs and initiate efforts to build robust solutions to address the needs.
- Think strategically to anticipate future opportunity areas for the business based on current and burgeoning policy and regulatory landscapes in key markets and socialize those areas with Uber ATG leadership to begin to lay the groundwork for future development efforts.
- Move the needle on transparency within the self-driving industry by authoring public-facing documents with digestible, technical depth and relevance.
- Serve as a principal point of technical engagement for internal and external policy and regulatory development partners with respect to self-driving vehicles.
- Work collaboratively with Policy teams to engage and inform key collaborators at the local, state, federal, and international levels. Utilize strategic insight of Uber ATG's roadmap and development efforts and to prioritize engagement timelines and strategies.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience with technology-related policy issues; experience with autonomous vehicles is a plus.
- Bachelor's Degree in public policy or a technical field.
- Experience in technology consulting, transportation or ridesharing.
- Experience in software or hardware development.
- Experience in policy or regulatory development.
- Experience working for, or with, nonprofit and/or government entities.
- Ability to lead collaborative cross-team initiatives.
- Ability to understand and convey technical depth around complex hardware and software systems to a broad and diverse audience.
- Strong interpersonal communication and partnership skills, as well as success at forming effective working relationships across organizational boundaries.
- Ability to independently prioritize work and deliver quality products with a tight schedule.
About the Team
Our Policy Engineering team sits at the intersection of a complex engineering challenge and an evolving regulatory landscape. It is important for the teams taking on these respective areas to be well-informed of development efforts in other areas, to build a complete picture of the industry and the environment that they are operating in. Policy Engineering serves as a principal point of technical engagement for internal and external stakeholders with respect to self-driving vehicles. We ensure Uber policy strategies are well informed and deeply aligned with Uber ATG's technical approaches, and that Uber ATG's engineers are appropriately cognizant of the policy atmospherics around the work they do.
Here at Uber's Advanced Technologies Group (ATG), we are on a mission to bring safe, reliable self-driving transportation to everyone, everywhere. We are building technologies that will transform the way the world moves. Our teams in Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Toronto, and Boulder are dedicated to mapping, software and hardware development, vehicle safety, and operations for self-driving technology. We are passionate about developing a self-driving system that will one day move people and things around more safely, efficiently, and cost effectively.
At Uber, we believe technology has the power to make transportation more efficient, accessible, and safer than ever before. Self-driving technology has the potential to make these benefits an everyday reality for our customers, but it's not going to happen overnight. Building best-in-class self-driving technology will take time, and safety is our priority every step of the way. Operating inclusively and transparently, while displaying responsible behavior in a structured development are critical to safety. We at ATG seek candidates who will role model these values.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.