Software Engineer II (gRPC protocol) - Network Platform
About the Role
We are looking for someone with a passion for architecting, building and scaling highly-available, mission-critical systems that support millions of users on a daily basis. This is a unique opportunity for an experienced engineer who is collaborative, has a healthy sense of curiosity and acts with responsibility to join Uber, work with talented people across the board and help improve our next generation infrastructure systems, scaling it to the next level.
Network platform team is a software networking team responsible for ensuring all traffic from mobile, web devices is able to reach Uber services in most expedient & highly available manner.
What You'll Do
- You will drive gRPC standardization across the company. This initiative is P1 effort driven from CTO staff.
- gRPC standardization effort will unify protocol encoding across all the Uber service enabling leaner fully supported framework using Google's Protocol Buffer. This team will work closely with Uber ecosystem to define the strategy and provide the necessary framework.
- The experience gained from this massive cross company effort will enable us to embark on newer company wide initiatives intended to speed up developer productivity and build resilient services, provide RPC features like rate limiting and circuit breaking, and be able to contribute to gRPC community.
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
- Experience with Go, Java, or C++ (bonus points for more than one).
- Knowledge of gRPC or working experience with gRPC
- Proficiency in Linux.
- Full-stack infrastructure knowledge.
- You have great interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a portfolio of successful execution. If you enjoy discussing anything from kernels to datacenters and you measure the success of your projects in "nines," then we want you on the team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or equivalent.
- You can collaborate well with team members to articulate requirements and system design.
- Ability to learn new technologies and make good recommendations
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.