Product Designer - Uber Freight
About the Role
As a product designer on Uber Freight, your number one job is to tackle user problems. You will work closely with cross-functional partners like product managers, engineers, data scientists, and UX researchers to iterate and create a usable, useful, and delightful experience that your team can launch. You'll engage across all stages of a project, using your skills in concepting, prototyping, service design, information design, workshop facilitation, and user research. As a T-shaped designer, you have at least one area you're experienced in but can handle a broad range of tasks from preparing assets for engineers to leading sprints.
Uber Freight Product designers have a meaningful impact on the lives of truck drivers, shippers, warehouse staff, and operations specialists.
We are a rapidly growing team of a dozen designers and researchers with a shared vision of infusing every Uber Freight experience with delight. Each designer and researcher is aligned with a team that serves drivers, shippers, and operations specialists, so we get to own the design process from beginning to end. We stand behind a healthy critique culture, so we can cross-pollinate ideas, identify journeys, and collaborate on solutions. Each designer has the opportunity to mentor and be mentored, so individual growth is a cornerstone of our culture.
What You'll Do
- Work with product managers to define requirements, not just translate them to design
- Partner closely with engineers to understand technology capabilities, build your outstanding designs, and achieve high shipped product quality
- Design systems to make simple, elegant experiences
- Build wireframes, prototypes and visual designs with our UI framework to tackle difficult UX problems
- Obsess over the details of the interaction, visual and motion design
- Partner with our UX research team to better understand the needs of our customers across 6 continents.
- Ship, measure, and improve your designs based on quantitative and qualitative feedback
- Identify future opportunities, working as a key thought partner to your counterparts in product, engineering, and ops
- Collaborate and iterate with your design colleagues to help raise the bar
What You'll Need
- 2+ years of product design experience
- Curiosity and inclination to solve complex user and design problems
- A portfolio showing your high quality, thoughtful UI and UX work
- Proven ability to take large complex projects and build a clear timeline of tasks and results in a way that uses teammates, tests, and iterates
- Deep knowledge of building products for web, iOS, and Android
- Interest in qualitative and quantitative data that helps ground your decisions in real data
- An owner's demeanor: you don't hesitate to call up dispatchers or drivers for spontaneous research, empower engineers to get the fit and finish right, translate insights from user studies into meaningful action, and anticipate potential challenges
- Ability to work collaboratively with people from all disciplines and levels
- Expertise at developing and conveying ideas clearly in a written and visual format - making business concepts and data visually engaging
- Emotional intelligence; you care authentically about your teammates and cultivate positive relationships even through difficult projects
About Uber Freight
Look around you: everything you see in the built environment was at some point on a truck. The complex interwoven world of freight allows for our modern way of life to exist by putting food in grocery stores, building materials at construction sites, and the clothes you wear on your back.
But the $4 trillion freight industry is plagued with inefficiencies that go back decades. Wasted time, wasted effort, and missed earnings opportunities are the status quo. Enter Uber Freight: we connect shippers with truckers, much like the way that Uber connects riders and drivers.
On the Uber Freight team, we believe that our dedication to transportation technologies will bring more harmonious, highly efficient, and increasingly safer transportation logistics to our roads.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
At Uber we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.