Software Engineer, Backend
About the Role
As a Software Engineer on the Safety Engineering team in Brazil, you will be an early member of Uber's first Tech Center in Latin America! We are initially focused on sophisticated technologies to improve safety around the world, such as advanced telematics, machine learning, high scale distributed systems, real time data processing and mobile development, among others.
What You'll Do
- Design and own architecture that spans across Uber's stack and multiple parts of the Safety organization
- Partner with fellow engineers to innovate, architect, develop and scale Safety's product and platform solutions that impact millions of Uber riders and drivers
- Work with Product Managers and Designers to nail core Safety user experiences
- Integrate highly reliable safety-aware decisioning engine with Uber's core dispatch system
- Develop algorithms and statistical models that power Uber's sensor inferences at scale by extracting signals and identifying patterns from vast amounts of sensor data
- Drive ongoing efficiency and reliability improvements through design and automation: availability, performance, scaling, monitoring and capacity.
- Lead upstream and downstream dependencies, collaborate with other engineering teams, capture requirements, evolve solutions and enable successful adoption
- Mentor and support your fellow teammates, as well as help review the team's technical design, code and documentation
What You'll Need
- Bachelor of Science degree in computer science, related field or equivalent practical experience
- Solid experience as a Software Engineer
- Passion for learning new skills and working on high-impact products and excellent record for shipping high-quality product features on schedule.
- Experience in working on large-scale distributed systems. We use Hadoop/HDFS, Spark, Kafka, Samza, Cassandra, and more
- Data-driven architecture and systems design
- Ability to learn new programming languages and technologies. We use Go, Java, Scala and Python
- Proficient in English
About the Team
Our team uses real-time telematics and motion sensing technologies along with multi-faceted machine learning algorithms and user-facing mobile products to reduce and prevent unsafe driving and behavior on the Uber platform! We are building low-latency data streaming infrastructure that ingests terabytes of data daily before applying statistical modeling and signal processing algorithms, NLP auditing as well as facial biometrics recognition solutions. Our work touches all parts of the Uber experience from dispatch to on-trip and post-trip, as well as Uber's entire ecosystem ranging from our rides business to other newer Uber marketplaces, and ventures.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.