Engineering Manager II, Core Data
About the Role
Data Platform engineering at Uber is looking for a strong Engineering Manager (EM2) who has built topnotch engineering teams and solved business problems at scale. Engineering Manager at Uber exhibit following qualities:
- Builds Trust > Demonstrates personal excellence with empathy, authenticity, inclusivity, and fairness.
- Grows and Adapts > Shows the ability to adapt with resilience and humility.
- Sets Vision > Establishes team purpose and plans for execution.
- Operationalizes > Ensures operational efficiency and impact.
- Develops and Coaches > Invests time in coaching and supports the development of others.
- Connects > Fosters collaboration within and across teams.
What You'll Do
- Provide technical leadership, set vision and maintain high technical standards for your team
- Ensure efficient operation and development productivity of your team
- Grow your team, hire new talent responsible for ever-growing technical challenges
- Collaborate across many areas of Uber, work with other technical, product and operation leaders across the Globe
- Be a voice of your team and products it delivers
What You'll Need
- Experience. 12+ years of significant experience building scalable, fault-tolerant, and robust products and platforms. Including 5+ years in managing engineering teams of 10+ people. Leading teams in India and collaborating with teams in the US.
- Hiring prowess. You're a strong leader who can attract talent in Bangalore, raising the bar for excellence.
- Bias towards action. You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way -- and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you and your team learns from them.
- Engineering excellence. You have the technical strength and deep knowledge of the whole stack to give great architecture and implementation guidance to the teams who will count on your experience.
- Mentorship. You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code quality, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Commitment. Cities never sleep, and neither does Uber. You care tremendously about keeping the Uber experience consistent for users and strive to make any issues invisible to riders. You are your harshest critic and hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team's scope.
About the Team
Uber is committed to delivering safer and more reliable transportation across our global markets. To accomplish this, Uber relies heavily on making data-driven decisions at every level, from forecasting rider demand during high traffic events to identifying and addressing bottlenecks in our driver-partner sign-up process. Over time, the need for more insights has resulted in over 100 petabytes of analytical data that needs to be cleaned, stored, and served with minimum latency through our multilayered Data Platform architecture.
Since the beginning of Data engineering at Uber, we have worked to develop a Big Data platform that ensures data reliability, scalability, and ease-of-use, and are now focusing on increasing our platform's speed and efficiency [Uber's Big Data Platform: 100+ Petabytes with Minute Latency].
Our data analytics platform hosts many hundreds of thousands of big datasets that span across hundreds of datawarehouses. With ~10 thousands weekly active users (Uber internal users) our platform is the bread-and-butter for engineers, data scientists, products and operations teams at Uber. Every week, more than 5 million queries are run over the platform to get critical data insights and build ML models. Data analytics team serves as the backbone for all data driven businesses at Uber. The role that this team plays, the impact that it brings to Uber, is growing every passing day.
Data teams at Uber are designed to play global roles (not building platforms for a specific country or market) and work with full autonomy. Team strikes an excellent balance between building a long term vision and accelerating the business.
Uber Engineering is a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and smart-productivity. We're looking for a team builder who can work harder, faster, and smarter, while taking technical excellence to a whole new level.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.