Data Science Manager - Eats, Recommender Systems/Ranking
About the Role
Are you interested in working at the intersection of machine learning (ML), engineering, and data science? Are you passionate about developing next-generation algorithms to power a variety of unique solutions in the recommendation, search and knowledge graph space? If so, then this is the job for you!
We are looking for a forward-thinking data science lead/manager in the SF office to own the challenging modeling and algorithmic development work in the Consumer (Eater) facing product area for Uber Eats.
What You'll Do
- Lead and develop a group of data scientists to tackle impactful problems such as Recommendation, Search Relevance, Knowledge Graph, etc. Your efforts will critically impact the growth, efficiency, and reliability of Uber Eats' marketplace.
- Comfortable enough with research methodologies to address abstract business and product problems with utmost precision.
- Your deep technical knowledge will allow you to work across data science, product and engineering teams working together to accomplish extremely ambitious goals and build a great product.
- An MS in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Operations Research or equivalent quantitative field
- 4+ years of hands-on experience in build ranking models and large scale recommender systems
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of machine learning Scientists or Data Scientists
- Strong Machine Learning breadth and depth
- Proficiency with Spark/Python/SQL (or similar)
- A PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Operations Research
- 6+ years of hands-on experience in build ranking models and large scale recommender systems
- 4+ years of experience managing a team of Machine Learning Scientists or Data Scientists
- Superior Machine Learning breadth and depth
- Strong skills with with Spark/Python/SQL (or similar)
- Superior problem solving ability
- Previous software engineering background
- Bias towards action and impact - able to structure a project from idea, prototyping, productionization to impact quantification
- Hardworking and attentive self-starter, great communicator, amazing follow-through - you have a great work ethic and love the responsibility of being held accountable for the results
About the Team
Uber Eats is Uber's ambitious and rapidly expanding on-demand food delivery business currently operating in more than 45 countries globally and is the largest outside of China. Applied Machine Learning Scientists in Uber Eats solve many exciting problems in the Recommendation, Search and Knowledge Graph space:
Recommendation: We help users discover the food they love through personalized recommendation, which jointly optimizes multiple objectives such as user engagement, restaurant demand, and long-term health of the marketplace.
Search: We help connect users with what they are looking for, let it be a cuisine, restaurant, or dish. We understand their intention and optimize their query, proactively suggest relevant search queries, build novel algorithms to power both search retrieval and ranking.
Knowledge Graph: To enhance the recommendation and search capabilities, we build an extensive knowledge graph to capture the relationship between food, restaurants, users and other marketplace entities using a wealth of data unique to Uber and Uber Eats.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.