Sr Machine Learning Engineer - Uber Freight
About the Role
You will tackle the challenge of understanding the complex Freight industry and use your data expertise to establish order from chaos. You will be working as part of the Marketplace Dynamics Engineering team at Uber Freight, which assists the interactions between different market participants. Your work will enable Pricing, Booking and Network efforts of the Marketplace Dynamics team. You will work closely with a cross-functional team of Engineers, Data Scientists & Data Analysts to automate and optimize Uber Freight's business. You will develop systematic solutions to improve our ability to scale algorithmic solutions through deploying & scaling models and increase our iteration speed.
What You'll Need
- 5+ years of full-time engineering experience
- Expertise in one or more object-oriented languages, including Python, Go, Scala or Java, and an eagerness to learn more
- Experience with both machine learning and building scalable production services
- Experience with distributed storage and database systems, including SQL or NoSQL, MySQL, Cassandra, Hive, Presto or Spark
- Experience using machine learning libraries or platforms, including Tensorflow/Pytorch, Caffe, Theanos, Scikit-Learn,or Spark MLLib for production or commercial products
- Machine learning domain knowledge--bias-variance tradeoff, exploration/exploitation--and understanding of various model families, including neural net, decision trees, bayesian models, instance-based learning, association learning, and deep learning algorithms
- Ability to explain & communicate Algorithm choices, ML system design & concepts to leadership, technical peers & industry specialists
- Ability to solve complex business problems and apply machine learning to optimize critical business metrics
- Strong alignment to metrics driven development, with a disciplined and analytical approach to product development.
- Experience in statistics
- Enjoy reading academic papers and implementing experimental systems
- Experience developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring and reliability
- Experience presenting at industry recognized ML conferences as well as being published in the field
- Experience in stream processing--Storm, Spark, Flink etc.-- and graph processing technologies
About the Team
The team is responsible for building products, algorithms and services that drive efficiencies within our network. This group optimizes the pricing, matching, and recommendation capabilities across our applications. A general eye for business concerns, combined with an acumen for systems that scale will be necessary. At your disposal will be the tools that helped Uber grow to be a worldwide company, as well as new and upcoming tech from our AI Labs and Machine Learning teams.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
At Uber we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.