Engineering Manager - Uber Freight - Marketplace, Pricing
About the Role
As an Engineering Manager within Uber Freight, you are encouraged to serve as a servant leader to your team of hardworking software engineers. Our team is tasked with changing the way the logistics and freight industry works: building apps that empower drivers to find and move freight efficiently, allowing our shippers to have more transparency into the process, and arm our Operations Teams with the best automation and force multipliers Uber can offer. The Marketplace team is responsible for building products, algorithms, services and analytics that drives up efficiency & utilization across the Freight Industry.
What You'll Do
As the leader of the Pricing team, you'll be working with our data science group to build intelligent pricing engines and quoting products so that our Operations teams can bid and sell with confidence at scale. As we expand, you'll help evolve our systems data structures to track the buy-offer-sell spreads of freight and help us build a transparent, dynamic, optimally priced marketplace to ensure that our carriers and shippers can rely on Freight Marketplace as a one stop solution for their Freight needs!
What You'll Need
- 3+ years of experience as a technical leader and manager.
- 5+ years as a hands-on, technical individual contributor, having played technical leadership roles on projects and features.
- Experience going through the full software cycle of requirements, design, coding/testing, rollout/deploy best practices in delivering world class software and services.
- Strong people leadership skills including growing and mentoring your team members.
- Experience evolving and communicating a strong vision/roadmap for your team.
- Passion about your team's mission and the self-starting personality to make things happen.
- A track record of delivering results even when requirements are under-specified.
- Solid programming skills in Go, Java, Python, or similar.
- Strong systems design experience, having scaled algorithmic & Machine Learning solutions in products.
- BS or MS in Computer Science technical field preferred
- Freight or logistics brokerage industry experience
About the Team
The Marketplace Dynamics group works at the intersection of data science & engineering, and develops decision systems to implement business strategy. Its mission is to ensure that Uber Freight has the data, products, and insights to build and maintain a healthy marketplace. The group works on a wide array of problems at Freight - from developing industry leading Pricing solutions to optimizing the Carrier app's booking flow through personalized recommendation experiences.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
At Uber we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.