Technical Program Manager, Engineering
in San Francisco, California
About the Role
Uber is adopting a centralized API platform strategy that will enable API development for the entire company. The charter of the Marketplace Platform team is to serve the same feature set to all first party and third party developers. We are building a technologically integrated API platform that engineering and product teams can use to build features and tools for all developers.
By building a unified API Platform, we will accelerate feature and tool development for our developers, simplify onboarding by eliminating disparate platforms, and ultimately increase developer happiness. In addition, we can increase our efficiency and lower our costs as a company by eliminating redundant requirements, infrastructure, and support.
The TPM for this team will be a key contributor to the vision and roadmap for the Marketplace Platform team at Uber. This TPM will wear multiple hats, including but not limited to driving a cohesive vision and roadmap for the API Platform at Uber and ensuring that the team executes against that roadmap with high velocity. This role is highly cross functional, requiring collaboration with engineering, product, and business teams across the company and potentially with external developers.
What You'll Do
- Exhibit a strong sense of responsibility and ownership for the success of API platform development from prioritization to delivery (including post-deploy monitoring of performance)
- Lead and deliver strategic technical programs for the API Platform team which spans across external API Gateway, Mobile API Gateway, and Streaming Gateway
- Help developers navigate onboarding, scaling, and optimizing their usage of our API platform
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand developer needs, identify new requirements for platform capabilities, tooling, and documentation
- Prioritize key technical initiatives and features to optimize the developer experience and maintain platform health
- Partner with Engineering, Product, Design, Data Science, and other stakeholders to understand developer needs and execute on platform priorities
- Risk management (de-risking blockers, eliminating dependencies, smooth execution)
- Coordination on large, multi-team initiatives (Rider and Driver API transition, Webhook platformization, Monorepo Migration)
- Develop a deep technical understanding of our platform
- Stakeholder management and communication (program teams, business development, privacy/legal, support teams)
- Stakeholder communication and Program Team Announcements (such as mid-monthly updates, executive summary)
- Overseeing compliance and regulatory mandates (e.g. Federal Trade Commission Audit)
- Measure and communicate the success of the platform. Analyze usage of our platform and drive improvements to the accuracy and effectiveness of its capabilities
What You'll Need
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a Technical Program Manager or engineering manager in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risk
- Engineers enjoy working closely with you
- Experienced in project management. Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence
- Ability to influence and motivate people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Strong organizational skills to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items
- Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively
- Strong organizational skills, successful track record of coordinating between multiple project stakeholders, technical program managers, and software development teams
- Experience in creating and managing complex, cross-team project plans;
- prior success in driving execution of large-scale project plans with multiple teams in support of business goals
Bonus Points If
- Computer Science degree, or related field
- Worked at a high paced, fast growing, scrappy tech startup
- Developer platform experience, understanding of API
- Product management experience
About the Team
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role executing high-impact company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.