Product Management, Product
in San Francisco, California
About the Role
The Technical Privacy Team's mission is to make Uber the industry model for consumer privacy through products and services, standards in product, engineering, policy, and transparent communications.
We are seeking an experienced and passionate Product Manager with technical depth, product intuition and entrepreneurial spirit to own the development of platforms, internal APIs and standards that ensure all product teams across Uber can easily make use of Privacy Engineering's core services and practice Privacy by Design. You will also be responsible for owning the long-term vision for your product area, as well as conceptualizing and building products that deliver against that vision along the way. You will work closely with our Legal and Policy teams to ensure we holistically consider the regulatory environment and market landscape around privacy -- and you will have a global impact, building experiences across all products at Uber and informing the company's values and standards for privacy.
You should be comfortable in uncharted territory as we build unique privacy technologies and grow user trust. We need your skills and enthusiasm to make it happen. Prior experience in privacy is a nice to have, but not required.
What You'll Do
- Sit at the intersection of Law, Policy, Business and Engineering.
- Define product requirements that factor in user needs and pain points, legal requirements, the policy landscape and business strategy.
- Develop a short-term roadmap and long-term vision for the Privacy Platforms product area.
- Build the vision for and deliver a suite of internal APIs and a Privacy-as-a-service platform that makes it easy for all of Uber's current and future apps to add privacy.
- Identify opportunities for new platforms and products that power Uber's global scale and build upon its Privacy infrastructure to provide scalable and sustainable customer value.
- Establish Uber-wide standards for the quality and availability of product data.
- Manage the roadmaps for our differential privacy, data deletion and data preservation services.
- Create guidelines and best practices for Uber's product management team on how to assess privacy risk and build privacy protecting products.
- Align and motivate stakeholders in Legal, Policy and Communications Strategy on a product-level mission and roadmap that builds trust with our users.
- Heavily utilize technical depth, data insights, market and customer research, and your product intuition to continually improve your products.
- Clearly communicate plans, insights, data and results to a spectrum of audiences including executives, legal, policy and other product teams across Uber.
- Define and track privacy metrics.
What You'll Need
- An engineering focused undergraduate degree or equivalent industry experience.
Technical depth, expertise, and pragmatism. You have visionary ideals for user privacy and can apply them in a business environment.
- Passion. You're excited and equipped to share our message on privacy and data protection to our users, the industry, and other experts. You may have given public talks or published blog posts or papers on technical topics.
- Leadership. You're able to educate partners on the privacy impact of product decisions and ensure innovation and data protection coexist. You're just as comfortable with on the ground privacy challenges as you are driving strategy with executive leadership.
- A great teammate. Your product instincts are matched by your humility and willingness to problem-solve with others. You can take the lead and have a great sense of what doing 'the right thing' is. You are an enabler not a blocker. You seek to mentor and share your knowledge with others.
- Minimum of 4 years experience delivering highly successful solutions in engineering, product management, data analytics or in strategy & operations (preferably within a tech company) - you're extremely proud of what you've accomplished.
- Experience with the user and technical challenges faced in Privacy, Trust & Safety or Risk engineering and product teams
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.