About the Role
The Data Analytics Team at Uber focuses on delivering actionable data on a silver platter to both external customers and internal data scientists, data analysts and users.
Our new Data Analytics Platform was designed to satisfy the data quality requirements of our high-value and high-complexity data, while also providing fast query performance, ease of maintenance, automatic self-healing, immutable data, and fully automated CI/CD code deployment.
Our target technology stack includes Hive, S3, Kubernetes, Athena (Presto), Postgres, Python
The team's influences and backgrounds come from data warehousing, data lakes, big data, analytical data engineering, business intelligence, software engineering, and devops.
We're currently transitioning into the Data Analytics Platform - and so are continuing to experiment, explore and evaluate these methods as we move forward.
What You'll Do
- Architect Blueprint for custom data pipelines and data at rest in support of reporting and data analysis using a number of elements from our technology stack described above
- Employ ways for automated testing for ensuring clean, performant and reusable code / processes
- Develop and deliver long-term strategic goals for data architecture vision and standards in conjunction with data users, department managers, clients, and other key stakeholders.
- Create short-term tactical solutions to achieve long-term objectives and an overall data management roadmap.
- Create end-to-end vision on how logical design translates into one or more physical databases, and how the data will flow through the successive stages.
- Establish methods and procedures for tracking data quality, completeness, redundancy, compliance and improvement.
- Assess and determine governance, stewardship, and frameworks for managing data across the enterprise.
- Create strategies and plans for data capacity planning, data security, life cycle data management, scalability, backup, disaster recovery, business continuity, and archiving.
- Ensure that data strategies and architectures are in regulatory compliance.Recognize and identify potential areas where existing policies and procedures require change, or where new ones are needed
- Select and implement the appropriate tools, software, applications, and systems to support data technology goals.
- Oversee the mapping of data sources, data movement, interfaces, and analytics, with the goal of ensuring data quality.
- Collaborate with project leads and consultants and business unit leaders for all projects involving enterprise data and analytics.
- Document & Socialize the data model and metadata policies and procedures for functional design
- Provide technical recommendations and engage with ETL/BI Architects, Business SMEs and other stakeholders throughout the Solution/Data Architecture and implementation lifecycle and recommend effective solutions to develop high performance and highly scalable data solutions
- Document the project and programs data architecture and environment in order to maintain a current and accurate view of the larger data picture, an environment that supports a single version of the truth and is scalable to support future analytical needs
What You'll Need
- Minimum of 8 years of experience as Data Architect & Data Engineer
- Expertise in Data Architecture, Data Strategy and Roadmap for large and complex organization and systems and implemented large scale end-to-end Data Management & Analytics solutions for more than one large client
- Expertise with normalized OLTP, MDM and DW Dimensional modeling techniques, Star & Snowflake schemas, modeling slowly changing dimensions and role playing dimensions, dimensional hierarchies, and data classification
- Expertise in Data Quality, Data Profiling, Data Governance, Data Security, Metadata Management, MDM, Data Archival and Data Migration strategies using appropriate tools
- Hands-on experience with related/complementary open source software platforms and languages (e.g. Java, Linux, Apache, Perl/Python/PHP, Chef)
- Experience with ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) tools
- Experience with BI tools and reporting software (e.g. Tableau)
- Experience with high-scale or distributed RDBMS ( Vertica)
- Drive delivery in a matrixed environment working with various internal IT partners
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced and changing environment with short deadlines, interruptions, and multiple tasks/projects occurring simultaneously
- Must be able to work independently and have skills in planning, strategy, estimation, scheduling,
- Strong problem solving, influencing, communication, and presentation skills, self-starter
- Hands-on experience with handling Big Data stack
- Experience with overseeing "productionalizing" Big Data applications (e.g. administration, configuration management, monitoring, debugging, and performance tuning)
- Knowledge of cloud computing infrastructure (e.g. Amazon Web Services EC2, Elastic MapReduce) and considerations for scalable, distributed systems
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.