About the Role
The Growth Platform team operates at the critical intersection of product and infrastructure, building technology to help power Uber products and accelerate growth. As a member of the team, you will be responsible for developing core platforms that serve as the essential middleware backbone that manages Uber's core entities, such as Users, Organizations, Vehicles, etc and to automate the key business processes, such as customer identity and customer communications. If you are passionate about designing and building extremely reliable, highly scalable, and performant multi-tenant services that never fail, this is the right group for you.
What You'll Do
- Define strategy, roadmap, plan and drive execution for Growth Platform technical initiatives.
- Drive alignment with Uber product, other Uber eng platform teams and stakeholders on scope, priorities, requirements, roadmap and plan commitments.
- Gain a deep understanding of the Growth Platform Core Services, identify platform gaps and generate new ideas that improve experience, speed and productivity for product customers.
- Work with multiple cross-functional teams to translate platform strategy into detailed requirements and prototypes.
- Drive launches working with other internal teams, executives, and other product management team members.
- Act as an evangelist to build awareness and understanding of Growth Platform offerings. Create buy-in for the platform vision with product and eng stakeholders.
- Drive alignment between Growth Platform and other infrastructure/foundation initiatives.
- Drive top-down priorities, such as compliance, for Growth Platform.
What You'll Need
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a Technical Program Manager or Engineering Manager in a SaaS, or systems development environment. Product Management experience is highly desirable.
- Previous expertise managing platform development and rollout of high scale services.
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks. Engineers enjoy working closely with you.
- High achiever, proven track record of building products and getting things done through a structured/analytical approach.
- Experienced in project management. Familiar with both Agile and Waterfall methodologies and able to apply them where best suited.
- Ability to influence, motivate, and align people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Strong organizational skills to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items.
- Analytical and truth seeking. Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
- Metrics driven: Experience determining effective program KPIs and using them to measure program success and issues.
- Proven strong cross-functional, cross-org stakeholder management and verbal/written communications are key.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and exceptional emotional intelligence.
Bonus Points If
- Experience on customer identity and security.
- Experience on platform consolidation/migrations.
- Computer Science degree, or related field. Worked at a high paced, fast growing, scrappy tech startup.
- Technical program management experience at an established company with a strong TPM team.
- Developer experience, including writing, testing and deploying code.
About the Team
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role executing high-impact company-wide initiatives and continuously improving process to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations.
Uber's positive impact is tangible in the communities we operate in, and that drives us to keep moving forward.
TPMs at Uber move fluidly from the big picture to details so that the team can deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the company. You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be direct, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity. TPM work involves the following:
- Project manage complex and large scale cross-team, cross-functional initiatives . Interface with engineering managers and engineers to estimate work efforts, define milestones and manage resources. Track progress, resolve dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize the project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
- Understand technical implementation at the architecture level and propose technical alternatives when necessary. Ask questions that clarify priorities and push the team to be highly effective. Develop broad domain and technical knowledge.
- Help manage the cross-functional strategic planning and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to develop concepts for strategic initiatives, and developing those into detailed program / project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Continuously improve and scale the organization. Implement continuous improvements to the engineering organization and the program management process. Share program/project process frameworks, tools, and best practices that can be adopted throughout the organization. Improve product development and delivery. Mentor project management skills within our engineering leadership team.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.