About the Role
Privacy Engineering's mission is to make Uber the industry model for consumer privacy through differentiated products and services, standards in engineering, policy, and transparent communications. We are focusing on building both privacy technology platform and user-facing products that give our users choice around their data, build trust, advance data privacy, and enable our business.
We are seeking an engineering leader with technical depth, product intuition, and entrepreneurial spirit to join our Privacy Engineering team. The Privacy Engineering Manager will play a key role throughout the planning, development, and delivery of privacy solutions, with close collaboration with product management, design, data science, security, legal, policy, communications, as well as many product and engineering teams across Uber.
You should be comfortable in uncharted territory as we build unique privacy technologies and grow user trust. We need your skills and enthusiasm to make it happen.
What You'll Do
- Establish and communicate team vision and goals.
- Work with stakeholders to craft product/technology strategy and roadmap for privacy, mapping critical business priorities to dependencies, and aligning cross-functional roadmaps.
- Lead team to plan and deliver against roadmap, both in quality and quantity, in a sustainable way.
- Establish and manage processes for efficient team execution.
- Drive engineering excellence by evangelizing and adopting best practices with well defined goals and metrics.
- Foster cross-functional, cross-team collaboration by building trust relationships with product management, design, data science, security, legal, policy, communications, as well as many product and engineering teams across Uber.
- Form partnership with leading researchers and industry partners to develop cutting edge privacy technologies.
- Recruit talent. Mentor, coach, and develop a high performing engineering team.
- Build a diverse, inclusive, fair, collaborative, and dynamic team environment.
- Be an internal and external evangelist for Uber's privacy technology.
What You'll Need
- You have 3+ years of experience managing software engineering teams, with strong hands-on software design and development skills.
- You know how to build highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant products and platforms in a big data environment to support our unique rate-of-growth.
- You have visionary ideals for user privacy and can apply them in a business environment.
- You have a strategic mindset, comfortable thinking far ahead of where the team is at now.
- You are a creative problem solver, having an excellent understanding of business goals and able to identify and solve high impact, highly complex problems.
- You have excellent execution, organization and collaboration skills.
- You are able to hire, motivate, develop, and retain top talents, and build a dynamic and high-performing team.
- You are biased toward action, able to do more with less and turn would-be blockers into opportunities for growth.
- You are principled yet pragmatic, having conviction and being authentic in your approach, but situationally aware enough to adapt when needed.
- You have experience operating in or managing agile development teams.
Bonus Points if
- Knowledge of privacy enhancing technologies, e.g. data minimization and management, data anonymization, differential privacy.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.