About the Role
As a Senior UX Writer, you'll work on the Product Design team to create intuitive, resonant experiences for the people who use our apps around the world, while helping grow the UX Writing function at Uber. You'll use meticulously crafted language to help our customers achieve their goals, from getting across town to achieving career and life goals. You'll play an integral role in crystallizing project vision and strategy: you'll help define what we're making and why we're making it. And you'll mentor other UX Writers as they grow their skills in our craft while also evangelizing the role of UX Writing to the broader design and product teams.
What You'll Do
- You'll be in charge of interface copy in our apps, which not only propel digital experiences, but also physical ones. That means writing words that move people around the world (literally and figuratively).
- Contribute order and process to the UX Writing program at Uber, building innovative and effective guidelines, best practices, and tools.
- Mentor and inspire others in the practice and impact of UX Writing.
- Create compelling long-term strategies that allow content to scale globally.
- Use metrics and research to inform and validate your work.
- Collaborate with visual designers, engineers, product managers, product marketing, and many others to bring your creations to life.
- Work with legal, localization, and support to ensure our products are appropriately and responsibly launched.
- Change gears easily, working with different products and teams.
What You'll Need
- 5+ years of UX writing or related experience writing user interface copy in a global software development environment
- A portfolio of samples that demonstrate your skill and effectiveness as a UX Writer in a digital product development team.
- A mastery of clear, precise writing that sometimes even sings.
- A passion for designing products for a global audience: not just through translation, but reimagining products so that they're effective in cultures around the world.
- An eagerness to use research and metrics to discover the most effective language for every context and to measure the impact of your work at furthering customer and product goals.
- A willingness to pitch ideas to cross-functional stakeholders, and an understanding of when it makes sense to push back and when it doesn't.
- The ability to strategically prioritize multiple projects for yourself and more junior writers and designers. You'll have plenty to do--know where our efforts will have the most impact.
- A gift for teaching the craft of UX Writing to other writers, as well our design and product partners.
- An appetite for problem solving in a landscape that changes quickly. If you like to identify gaps in processes, inefficiencies that could be smoothed over, or things that simply could work better, you'll fit right in.
Bonus Points If You have...
- A degree in English, Psychology, Design, Linguistics, HCI or any area that emphasizes the analysis and use of language or narrative and systematic thinking.
- Background in user experience or product design. Copywriting or content strategy experience in other environments is also useful, as long as you can articulate how your approach would or wouldn't adapt to the world of apps.
- Experience writing for spoken interfaces or other writing that's meant to be spoken in apps, on the air, or on the stage.
About the Team
Our team is a group of language specialists within Product Design. We think about holistic experiences and work tightly with designers and researchers to make sure the work we produce is cohesive, coherent, and inspires confident action by our customers. We own all the language that goes into the Uber apps (Rider, Driver, Eats, etc.) globally.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.