About the Role
Staff engineers at Uber have a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology decisions spanning multiple projects and locations. They are passionate and pragmatic technologists who are able to design scalable systems while delivering efficient code. They are not only collaborative role models, but also approachable thought leaders within a larger group. They are deeply technical but also humble teachers, who lead and mentor teams of talented engineers while executing and delivering on uniquely challenging projects.
What You'll Do
- Provide technical leadership in architecting and building mission-critical distributed systems which underpin Uber's global operations
- Collaborate with others, from talented team members within your group, through smart technologists across product lines, to responsible leaders across Uber. Build up strong relationships with people in the organization, meaningfully collaborating and building trust
- Be a role model on acting with good judgement and responsibility. Engineers across the organization will look to you on how best to plan and execute on projects
- See the big picture and identify strategically important problems, inefficiencies or opportunities for meaningful improvements. Drive alignment on how to tackle and deliver highly leverageable solutions at the group and organization level
- Up the bar on sustainable engineering by improving best practices, producing best-in-class code, documentation, testing and monitoring
- Be a humble mentor and trusted advisor for both your team members and the broader set of passionate leaders alike. Deal with a difference in opinions in a mature and fair way, helping teams to commit and move forward
What You'll Need
- You have deep experience building distributed systems at scale
- You have a track record of leading successful teams. You know how to grow and motivate the people around you
- You are customer obsessed and collaborate within and across teams to meet customer needs. You are optimistic in pursuit of the best solution
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents
- You have a passion for raising the bar in a world-class engineering culture
About the Team
The Observability suite includes:
- M3, our open source distributed metrics stack, handles hundreds of millions of raw metrics per second, and is used to monitor and alert for every product and microservice at Uber
- Jaeger, our open source enterprise tracing system, provides actionable insight into individual flows through our microservice architecture, and comprehension of the entirety of Uber's software ecosystem
- Our dashboarding and visualization tools, which display context-sensitive information from across the Uber ecosystem, enabling quick detection and mitigation of issues
- Uber's alert configuration and execution engine that provides real-time alerting for Uber services. uMonitor as a product also serves as a cohesive entry point/observability portal for our engineers to discover observability golden signals and help investigate outages across the observability toolset.
- Our deeply integrated On-Call Experience suite of tools, which gives on-call engineers everything they need to raise, track, and close outages incidents, to track the SNR of alerts, and to drive improvements in their team health by reduce alert load
- Blackbox, our system for externally monitoring our critical business endpoints, via emulated workflows
- A new log analysis platform, currently under development, that will ingest millions of log events per second and will provide enterprise log analysis tooling used to triage and remediate issues across all of Uber's production systems
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.