Program Manager, Engineering
in San Francisco, California
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Program Manager to join Uber's Maps team to help execute initiatives and solve complex challenges. Program Managers move fluidly from thinking about big picture solutions to nailing the tiniest detail so that the team can seamlessly deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines. You are a bridge and a connector for the team contributing to high impact, high visibility projects that keep us moving forward.
You are intuitive, focused, driven, organized, detail oriented, and proactive. The right person will thrive in an "all hands on deck" environment, loves optimizing for efficiency while being effective and communicative. No task is beneath you. You work collaboratively to allow our teams to work better, faster, and smarter. You break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. You build trust across the organization. You are not afraid to be tough, but you strive to act with empathy and integrity.
What You'll Do
- Build strong relationships with cross-functional teams (engineering, data science, product, product operations, (T)PgMs, and design).
- Drive communication and documentation efforts across the organization.
- Manage and drive organizational processes, working with cross-functional leads to prioritize, manage, and facilitate efforts.
- Manage complex cross-team programs. Interface with engineering and product leaders to estimate work efforts, define milestones, OKRs, and manage resources. Track progress, understand dependencies, evaluate risks and communicate status to upper management and project stakeholders. Engage and energize project teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- Help execute the cross-functional strategic and business planning process, leading conversations with key stakeholders to understand concepts to create and develop detailed program/project plans (including roadmaps, funding planning, resource planning and hiring goals).
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities.
- Monitor, evaluate, and continuously improve the engineering organization by being a trusted advisor, facilitator and creative problem solver. Implement continuous improvements to the organization and the program management process.
What You'll Need
- 4+ years experience as a program / project manager in a tech environment and/or start up environment.
- Advanced in Project Management principles and leadership.
- Solid experience in a software development ecosystem working with software engineers.
- Working familiarity with SDLC, PDLC, Agile/Scrum.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence.
- Ability to influence and motivate people across a variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to juggle many tasks without losing sight of the highest priority items.
- You are driven and don't get overwhelmed easily. No job is too big or too small.
- Strong bias to action. You drive end to end results and are always thinking ahead. Instead of waiting around for things to happen you proactively get things done.
- Obsessive attention to detail and you are constantly looking for ways to tweak and optimize.
Bonus Points If
- Worked at a high paced, fast-growing tech startup, large tech company, or has a consulting background
- Analytics background. You have collected, structured and analyzed data to drive key insights.
- Proven ability to handle large complex projects/programs, especially related to people, community, and diversity.
- A wiz with project management tools and software (e.g., Coda, Google Suite, JIRA, Asana, Basecamp, etc)
- You have the ability to understand technical concepts and engineers enjoy working closely with you.
- Google Sites and Analytics.
- Google Slides (or similar) experience ability and the ability/eye to make them beautiful.
About the Team
Uber Maps is both a platform and user facing team that powers Uber drivers and riders to get from A to B. The Engineering team is made up of experienced leaders and industry experts that work collaboratively to build great products and an excellent team!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.