About the Role
As Electric and Greener Vehicles Public Policy Lead, you are Uber's connection between our market-leading technology that provides flexible, reliable economic opportunities for over 3 million people around the world and the unique and growing audience of policymakers, regulators, researchers, key opinion formers and the broader public. You are a key thought leader and conduit for Uber's public affairs and government relations around the world
You will drive global policy development for Uber on the application of electric vehicles, hybrids and other high efficiency vehicles, and fleet services to ridesourcing networks. You will work with business and product teams to also support efforts to evaluate and identify solutions for scaling shared, electric mobility on the Uber platform.
What You'll Do
We're looking for an experienced policy professional to be a key partner for the Vehicles Team and related sustainable mobility initiatives, including electric vehicles (EVs) and other high efficiency vehicle programs, globally.
This role will involve:
- Cultivating deep issue expertise on public policy issues impacting the roll out of EVs and charging infrastructure specific to their application for ridehailing and other shared use technology platforms
- Developing issue expertise on public policy issues impacting our vehicle solutions programs, the businesses of our fleet management and vehicle partners, and their ability to develop and provide vehicle solutions to driver-partners
- Providing intel to the business about global markets for EVs and other high efficiency vehicles, fleet services and transportation energy (including electricity)
- Enabling Uber to be a publicly-acknowledged thought leader in shared clean (high efficiency and electric) mobility
- Working with Uber's local public policy teams around the world to actively communicate the impact of these programs, develop policy and business opportunities, and mitigate policy risks
- Working with cross-functional teams - including business development, operations, product and engineering - to develop and strengthen Uber's approach to electrification, high efficiency vehicle use and fleet services around the globe
- Proactively developing partnerships and seeding research
What You'll Need
Competitive candidates will need:
- At least 5 years of experience in government, policy development, law, transportation, automotive industry, and/or energy industry experience
- Experience working in the EV market or other high efficiency / alternative fueled vehicle markets, from either the business or the policy side
- Familiarity with the business and policy challenges facing transportation electrification (both supply side - vehicles and grid - and, consumer demand side), fleet vehicle management, and new mobility technologies (e.g. ridehailing, carsharing, etc.)
- Understanding of the regulatory landscape and key government bodies influencing the markets for EVs and cleaner vehicles in the United States and Europe
- Connections to key companies, utilities, government agencies, advocacy organizations, researchers, and other influential stakeholders in the EV and alternative fuels space
- Strong interpersonal (verbal + written) skills and written communication skills; timely development of materials
- Track record of project design, development and execution as well content creation
- Significant analytical experience, including ability to analyze data to identify trends and implications, and ability to construct forward-looking models that can inform policy positions
- Experience driving cross-functionally and build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Intellectual curiosity and proactivity -- You'll need to be intellectually curious and able to think things through from first principles. But expertise alone only goes so far, so you'll need to hustle and make things happen to get the job done
- Advocacy aptitude -- We're looking to create new policy frameworks that encourage innovation from and alternatives to individual car ownership. You'll need the intellectual firepower to identify opportunities among complex policy issues as well as a self-starter ability to bring together the people and resources necessary for implementation
- Passion for Uber's mission -- Prior experience in the technology sector, or more specifically a marketplace business, would be a plus but more than anything we want someone with an infectious enthusiasm and passion for how cities move
- Advanced degrees (e.g., JD, MPP, MBA) preferred but not required
About the Team
The Central Public Policy Team has a global remit and is responsible for developing solutions to policy opportunities and regulatory challenges in issue domains that impact on Uber's global business. Working closely with on-the-ground Public Affairs and Government Relations and cross-functional partners we develop best in class policy solutions backed by rigorous research and data. The Central Public Policy Team also provides strategic advice and guidance to Tech and Product organizations as well as key executives in the execution of Uber's business goals.
Uber's Vehicles Team develops programs and partnerships that help drivers gain access to a car at competitive costs. In partnership with fleet management companies and automakers, these programs include auto discounts, flexible and traditional lease opportunities, and rental options in cities around the world.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.