Legal Director - Antitrust, Competition and EU Legal Affairs, EMEA
Uber is a game-changing company that enables game-changing mobility and logistics services around the world. You may know us best as an app that allows people to book a ride at a touch of their smartphone. We're much more now and are changing the way people and things move around the world through products like Uber Eats, Uber Freight and various new mobility offerings like JUMP bikes and scooters. We are in over 600 cities worldwide, including in over 40 countries in Europe, Middle East and Africa and we recently listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
We are currently searching for a high calibre and inspirational Legal Director to lead and manage our Antitrust, Competition and EU Legal Affairs teams at an EMEA level. You will report directly to the Associate General Counsel for EMEA and be based at our fantastic international HQ in Amsterdam. You'll also be expected to be willing to travel across the region (and the world!) where needed!
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Work closely with our AGC and other members of the legal department globally on Antitrust, Competition and EU Legal Affairs matters across EMEA and the world and across all lines of business (including Rides, Eats, JUMP and Freight).
- Effectively lead, manage, build and develop your team to ensure they are a cohesive and effective and a strong partner to all areas of our business and the wider legal team.
- Be the point of contact across Antitrust, Competition and EU Legal Affairs for the business in EMEA as well as for teams at our global HQ in San Francisco and a point of escalation for our regional legal teams.
- Be an active partner and leader to the business to ensure the provision of timely business-focused advice across all of Uber's areas of activity.
- You'll take responsibility for ensuring we have the right processes and tools available to enable the team's capability to scale as the business does, including the use and implementation of appropriate technology solutions.
- Provide strategic and proactive legal advice to internal business groups. It's our job to peer round corners for the business and ensure that we are well positioned for the future.
- Effectively and efficiently manage outside counsel to achieve business objectives
- Understand, interpret and apply current and future regulations as applicable to Uber's business models in the region and your areas of responsibility.
- Work hard but have a lot of fun doing it!
WHAT YOU NEED
- Significant and relevant post-qualification experience at a top law firm or in-house (ideally 12+ years, with some in-house experience)
- Strong academic credentials and law degree from a top law school or university.
- Deep experience of EU Competition law and the laws and institutions of European Union combined with experience and knowledge of antitrust and competition matters in the Middle East & Africa and more broadly internationally.
- We're looking for an individual with:
- Strong experience in Merger control, JV and contract, either gained from a leading practice or in-house team
- Demonstrative experience of engaging with and successfully navigating the various different EU institutions, and using EU law advantageously.
- Substantive experience in applying competition law to guide the development of a business' products and services, including in particular regarding risks related to predatory practices, risks of abuse of dominance, vertical exemptions.
- Contract drafting skills.
- Able to perform regulatory work and guide the business towards compliance, while being creative to foster and/or maintain Uber's competitiveness both in highly or lowly regulated markets
- Manage litigations and pre-litigation matters involving competition aspects
- Flexible in order to successfully assist several teams and several businesses, each with its own focus and priorities that may quickly change over time
- Excellent business judgment, communication and interpersonal skills (with a high level of emotional intelligence)
- To be reactive and able to think on your feet and make quick decisions
- To be able to thrive in high impact/high profile situations
- The highest standards of integrity and punctuality
- Proactive and assertive in approach
- Credible and professional
- Fluent in written and spoken English and one additional European language such as French, Spanish, German being a strong plus. Any other relevant languages (in particular Arabic) are an advantage too.
- Enthusiasm about Uber and our mission!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.