Product Management, Product
in San Francisco, California
About the Role
On-demand aviation has the potential to radically improve urban mobility, giving people back time lost in their daily commutes. Just as skyscrapers allowed cities to use limited land more efficiently, urban transportation will use three-dimensional airspace to alleviate transportation congestion on the ground. A network of small, aircraft that take off and land vertically (called aircraft for Take-off and Landing, and pronounced vee-tol), will enable rapid, reliable transportation between suburbs and cities and, ultimately, within cities. These vehicles will be managed by a highly automated set of complex services called the Elevate Services (ECS). We are looking for someone to own product management for the Elevate Services, based in San Francisco/Palo Alto.
What You'll Do
- Develop the detailed product requirements for the Elevate Cloud Services (ECS) and their product elements, including operational user interfaces, pilot and rider apps, air traffic services, flight planning services, etc.
- Develop deep expertise on the hardware, software, operations, regulatory, and policy issues impacting Uber Elevate and the Elevate Cloud Services;
- Distil the program and platform goals for developing the ECS at Uber, and and turn them into product descriptions and documents (e.g. PRDs) suitable for the engineering team to develop the ECS functionalities;
- Understand the near-term opportunities and commitments related to pilot programs with the FAA and NASA as well as other industry partners and make sure the near term ECS development for these programs tracks towards the long-term vision;
- Collaborate with the Elevate teams on operations, vehicles, data science, and batteries to understand their product needs and then strategically prioritize that work against other needed work inthe ECS product roadmap;
- Coordinate the product development with the ECS Director of Engineering and the ECS Engineering Managers;
- Work closely with other product managers on the team and take charge of executing on specific product elements
- Work with operations stakeholders to design products & features that enhance productivity, customer experience and safety.
What You'll Need
- A "driver" personality - biased toward action, great collaborator and master disambiguator/simplifier - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery.
- Deep interest in aviation and, ideally experience with aviation or robotics/hardware (preferred but not required)
- Ability to collaborate closely with external and internal stakeholders, such as program management
- A computer science undergraduate degree or equivalent plus hands-on software engineering experience. Technical understanding must go from the highest abstractions down to the metal.
- 3-5 years experience delivering highly successful and innovative consumer Internet products with your fingerprints all over them - you're extremely proud of what you've accomplished
- Excellent skills and a track record in organization, roadmapping, prioritization and tracking
- A high bar across the board - from your own contributions to the people you work with to the products you work on.
- Finger-tippiness with data: you just go get the data you need with no muss/fuss and can whip it into an insightful story with no help. You know how to leverage data to make decisions without getting stuck in analysis paralysis.
- Rider-centricity - examples from your past of tough product challenges that you powered through because you were unwilling to make your problems your riders' problems.
- True passion for Uber's mission and the company's hybrid technology / operations nature.
- A never-ending desire to grow and learn.
- Bonus points for experience in design of frontend products
About the Team
The ECS development has been kick-started by the airspace systems team, the core software engineering team on Uber Elevate -- our initiative to fast forward to ridesharing in the sky, i.e. urban aviation. The vision of the airspace systems team is to enable safe, reliable, large-scale and efficient airspace for Uber Elevate. In order to accomplish this vision, the team works in coordination with other relevant teams and stakeholders within Elevate (particularly Vehicles, , and Data Science), and Uber's core dispatch, marketplace, and security teams as our systems become operational and integrated. The team is based in Palo Alto and San Francisco.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.