About the Role
Are you ready to join us on a once-in-a-career, incredibly fun ride? We are looking for an exceptional attorney to join our New Mobility (NeMo) legal team. The role will focus on strategic relationships and agreements that enable the growth and success of the New Mobility business as we become a global multi-mobility platform. We are looking for a lawyer who is an expert drafter, negotiator, product counselor, and business partner. The position is based in San Francisco.
What You'll Do
- Serve as a front-line attorney advising the hardware product teams and safety teams on product safety requirements, global safety regulations compliance, domestic and international product certification process and safety by design. You will work directly with business clients to provide on-the-ground support and identify potential legal issues including battery safety and product liability.
- You will respond to issues involving potential hazards or product defects.
- You will also partner with business stakeholders, cross functional leaders to develop relationship and engagement strategy, lead the agreement-making process and develop and maintain ongoing relationships with external manufacturing and supply chain vendors.
- Support a dynamic organization of product managers, software and hardware engineers, designers, deal makers, and operations specialists who are responsible for bringing new mobility products to Uber's platform.
- Find and resolve wide-ranging legal issues such as: tax, export, consumer protection, data privacy, litigation risk, regulatory, product liability, antitrust and intellectual property.
- Deliver expert commercial law, licensing, and transactional support for a fast moving business team.
- Provide legal support to your clients by resolving matters directly, working with cross functional team members, and collaborating with members of the larger legal team.
- Influence cross-functional organizations while enhancing strong internal relationships in order to meet business requirements and cost objectives.
What You Will Need
- Must have more than 10+ years of experience in private practice and/or in-house role.
- Experience counseling management teams on U.S. or international consumer protection requirements, product defects/recalls, domestic and international product certification processes, hardware safety supply chain issues and resolving complex commercial disputes.
- Experience counseling global organizations on product and compliance issues in a regulated industry.
- Detail-orientation and ability to manage multiple transactions and projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Excellent written skills and ability to present information/complex legal matters clearly, and concisely.
- Genuine interest in technology. Experience working for an engineering-driven technology company preferred.
- Flexibility and confidence to perform in nimble, rapidly changing and growing environments; highly adaptable paired with attention to scaling...all with a can-do positive mindset!
- Inquisitiveness, along with the ability to spot issues, get to the heart of a matter, and articulate plans to address.
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated experience working with business leaders.
- Collaborative approach with both business and legal groups, with strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility, and partner with others.
- J.D. and license to practice law in at least one state is required.
- Passionate about your work and a desire to have a big impact. Your job will matter - you will never be bored.
Enthusiastic about Uber!
About the Team
New Mobility is a dynamic business within Uber that is growing at an incredible rate. We are looking for an attorney who has the ability and desire to work in this fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment. The awesome New Mobility Legal team enables NeMo to see around corners, scale and make responsible decisions as Uber evolves into a multi-modal platform.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.