About the Role
You will be a software engineer on the Elevate Data team focused on developing Uber's airspace simulation services (known as Flux) for UberAIR (passenger-carrying) aircraft and potentially Drone Delivery operations. These services will be used to simulate and manage hundreds of thousands of (one-day autonomous) aircraft and need to be designed and implemented for the highest level of precision and accuracy.
What You'll Do
- Focus on further developing our network optimization tools and models.
- Develop and iterate on novel optimization algorithms to solve complex logistical problems arising in the Uber Elevate network.
- Scale our backend to optimize for low latency and high throughput while running our algorithms against large datasets.
- Incorporate airspace and operational requirements that are necessary to inform our Elevate initiative.
- Develop internal tools to support tooling critical to vehicles, airspace, operations, business development, noise, and policy.
- Build out the backend to a web-based tool that will be exposed to internal and external customers.
What You'll Need
- Excellent technical skills
- demonstrated competency having successfully shipped software for multiple years.
- expertise with all phases of Java backend software development including data structures, complexity, best coding practices, architecture, testing.
- depth of understanding and skill in software design and object oriented architectures.
- knowledge of database architectures, big data platform architecture, and caching solutions along with their integration points/strategies within complex software systems.
- demonstrated ability and propensity to rapidly move up learning curves for new technologies and concepts.
- Highly quantitative, data-driven, and rigorous. The candidate must have at least one year of experience working with very large amounts of data.
- Product Thinking
- ability to understand the governing dynamics of multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced, and often changing, environment.
- ability to work with uncertain requirements and to define and propose scoping, requirements, and development plans when necessary.
- ability to challenge the status quo and contribute new and innovative ideas to support product.
- Strong collaborator and leader
- ability to be flexible and open to different coding practices, team processes, and critical feedback
- ability to work closely with internal and external stakeholders
- ability to communicate complex information succinctly and unambiguously
- ability to carefully collaborate with those whose background differs from their own and be willing to tailor the most appropriate solution for the given problem instead of relying solely on those for which the candidate is most familiar.
- ability to thrive in a fast moving and multidisciplinary environment.
- Knowledge in the aviation domain
- Knowledge of the Uber infrastructure
- Front-end and full-stack skills
- Physically building, scaling and managing large scale systems.
- Rigorous foundation of at least one quantitative discipline spanning optimization, machine learning, statistics, or similar areas.
About the Team
The Elevate Data team is tasked with solving problems through technology that the world has never solved before. The level of impact and software challenges are unparalleled and make this a truly unique opportunity.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.