City Operations, Operations & Launch
in Randburg, South Africa
The Risk and Compliance Manager- SSA role is a unique opportunity to lead a strategic and impactful operations team within Uber's Rides business for Sub Saharan Africa. Reporting to the SSA Head of Operations, you will be responsible for driving the following business priorities; rider and driver quality, operational compliance, and financial fraud (including cash collection compliance) and optimising existing operational policies and processes to minimise our risk in these areas.
This is an operational role, with robust stakeholder management required with functional and local teams. You are expected to be a strong thought partner to regional leadership and local business leaders on the best approach for long-term sustainable growth and competitive advantage, in addition to working with a team of diverse, high performing operations managers.
We're looking for someone who has experience in risk management, auditing or actuarial science, has demonstrated the ability and willingness to 'roll-up sleeves' and get involved with operations. We want a creative thinker who will drive innovative solutions, while also holding firm to "do what is right". They need to have the emotional intelligence to work in a fast paced environment with a diverse set of stakeholders all over the world.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Vision: Work closely with business leaders across the company to develop and refine specific functional business strategies related to compliance-related controls monitoring, regulatory reporting, and audits
- Thought Leadership: Set strategic priorities, align regional and company vision, and push the thinking to continue innovating
- Subject Matter Expertise: Identify and own specific subject matter or process areas and act as a key point person for any related cross-functional issues. Leverage local insights and global best practices to develop Uber SSAs quality & compliance roadmap and guide various teams through its implementation
- Program/Project and Stakeholder Management: Be the glue that brings teams together (Operations ,Legal, Finance, Product, Marketing, etc.) to ensure high standards for regulatory operations. Be a hustling multi-tasker, driving cross-functional groups to decisions on strategically important questions
- Process Optimization: Create, build and reshape processes that scale across the SSA sub-region (executed both centrally and localized) to allow the business to operate smoothly and grow. Identify operational and structural weaknesses and help improve existing processes to keep us as efficient as possible
- Scale: Analyse business operations and ensure we are operating at the highest possible scale while also leveraging our in-market resources
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW/HAVE:
- Tertiary qualification in Commerce, Accounting or Engineering
- Risk Management, CA (SA) or Lean Six Sigma preferred
- 3+ years of deep, hands-on management of functions that included combinations of the following: operations, business analytics, customer loyalty and retention, and project management
- Strong business judgement and critical thinking skills with the ability to use data to quickly establish the highest value priorities and develop a strategy to pursue them
- Master problem solver; develops new frameworks for complex problems where no standards exist today and engages other experts for feedback and integrates it effectively
- Able to develop highly actionable solutions for complex problems and drive implementation across the organisation
- Strong communication and comfort sharing information formally or informally with senior audiences. Able to articulate a clear vision and areas of strategic focus
- Passionate about engaging senior stakeholders and leading and working with cross-functional groups to develop (and then operationalize) initiatives to improve rider experience
- Comfortable project managing the rollout of large initiatives across the region which require cross-functional collaboration across operations, product, cities, marketing, legal and tax
- Creative solutions-driven mindset, with an anything is possible attitude
- Stellar Excel skills required and SQL knowledge and experience is a big bonus
- Local national candidates are encouraged to apply
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.