About the Role
Uber is looking for a strategic and exceptional leader to serve as our Chief Payments Counsel. This role will power Uber's global expansion through developing and implementing legal approaches and policies for the company's global payments strategy across all products and geographies. Ideal candidates have a strong global compliance and regulatory experience in global payments compliance as well as effectively balance our legal responsibilities with maintaining robust business opportunities. This position will report to the Associate General Counsel, Corporate.
What You'll Do
- Lead the team of payments counsel responsible for counseling the business on a broad range of commercial and regulatory matters, and structuring, drafting and negotiating commercial transactions.
- Work directly with the business, serving as lead counsel on strategic deals, providing day-to-day advice, resolving issues that arise in existing commercial relationships and handling pre-litigation legal disputes and inquiries.
- Represent Uber before federal, state and international financial regulators and other relevant parties across the world
- Implement compliance strategy with applicable law and regulations across the world relating to payments, privacy, security, consumer protection, marketing, competition, and telecom, among other areas
- Manage a growing team of attorneys
- Support payments regulatory compliance and other counseling matters domestically and internationally
- Review and advise on pending and developing applicable law and regulation relating to payments globally, working with the compliance team
- Collaborate across the legal and compliance organization and businesses
- Review and draft related agreements (e.g. payment processing and related services agreements, licenses and intellectual property agreements, and vendor services agreements)
- Travel globally
- Collaborate with external advisors and internal business partners to identify and assess legal, financial and operational risks pertaining to domestic and international payments activities
- Provide legal advice to Finance, Product, Operations and Engineering as well as design scalable payments solutions across all new and existing businesses
What You'll Need
- J.D. and license to practice law in at least one state is required
- Fifteen (15+) years of legal experience in a combination of law firm and in-house settings (at least 6 years in house required).
- Experience partnering on the evolution of payments products and features on a global basis.
- Experience with reviewing, drafting and negotiating a variety of technology and other complex commercial transactions.
- Experience working for an engineering-driven technology company.
- Global perspective with experience in matters involving multiple regions or legal regimens
- Must be confident, collaborative, and able to operate in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated business aptitude and ability to move quickly
- Appetite for being a key player in a rapidly growing company
- Genuine interest in new technologies
- Bonus points for a technical background and a willingness to get into the weeds with engineers and other clients!
- History of driving efficient and strategic use of resources, including technical groups, in-house counsel, vendors, and outside counsel
- Flexibility to perform in nimble, and rapidly changing and growing environments
- Adept at identifying and scaling routine business operations
- Inquisitiveness, along with the ability to spot issues, get to the heart of a matter, and articulate plans to address
- Strong communication skills and demonstrated experience working with business leaders
- Ability to present information/complex legal matters clearly, and concisely
- Collaborative approach with both business and legal groups, with strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility, and partner with others
- Passionate about your work and a desire to have a big impact. Your job will matter - you will never be bored
- Enthusiastic about Uber!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.