About the Role
Uber Global Scaled Solutions(GSS) group is seeking an experienced professional to lead and expand our QA & Automation charter. S/he will work closely with Engineering and Product teams to define and execute QA standards and processes. As part of the roadmap individual is expected to provide the most efficient test coverage with a clear strategy to scale, transition and optimise across manual and automation footprint.
The extended goal is to come up with tools to allow safeguarding features and preventing regressions before diffs land, hence empowering mobile developers to build reliable apps quickly. These solutions have tremendous impact on Uber's business by reducing the number of bugs from going out the door, which dramatically impacts user trust and retention.
The impact is huge: faster development speed for all mobile engineers, fewer beta fixes, hotfixes and outages, fewer crashes, ANRs, and bugs in our apps, making the Uber app experience truly magical.
The role is based out of Hyderabad, India, but will manage a global team.
What You'll Do
- Responsible for defining QA strategy, approach and execution in development projects.
- Influencing upstream engagement in dev life cycle and ensuring that the development teams adhere to the principles, guidelines and best practices of the QA strategy as defined.
- Provide technical expertise in Test Automation, Testing Methodologies, Testing Processes, Tools and Techniques across the teams.
- Building and maintenance of quality standards as well as enforcing technical and testing standards.
- Build and manage a high performing QA team
- Provide regular direction, mentoring, and coaching to QA team members, ensuring the success of the team's manual and automation efforts.
- Provide leadership and technical expertise within Test Automation and Quality Assurance.
- Lead and work on various long term app reliability tooling, not just UI test frameworks, but also unit testing, frameworks for writing testable code, tools to drive up test coverage, tools improve code safety, and any other projects to improve reliability of our apps.
- Ensure the proper usage of the available tools to gain the maximum benefit of the QA effort. This includes testing tools for functional, performance, automation, etc.
- Monitoring of all the QA activities, test results, leaked defects, root cause analysis and identifying areas of improvement. Implement steps required to improve the processes.
- Gather and present testing metrics and testing activities for the projects to key stakeholders.
- Ensures operational efficiency and impact
- Be an escalation point for all matters related to testing and quality assurance and operate as a primary point of contact for the QA teams.
- Fosters collaboration within and across teams
What You'll Need
- 13+ years of relevant experience in a technical environment.
- Experience in successfully leading a Quality function across multiple sites and specific to mobile space.
- QA Management experience across multiple projects, off-shore and in-house.
- Have strong technical skills, both functional and non-functional, manual and automation, ideally in a continuous delivery environment.
- Strong communication skills with all the key stakeholders to ensure QA vision is understood and implemented correctly-doing the right thing.
- Establishes and manages outsourced teams to cover tasks as needed.
- Be an advocate of Quality Assurance, Continuous Improvement and industry recognized Best Practices.
- Experience managing testing departments or testing functions, managing large and complex activities and processes.
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational ability.
- Ability to adapt with resilience and humility.
- Customer obsessed and quality focused.
- Proactive, quick thinker and assertive.
- Able to motivate a team, recognize good talent and bring out the best out of each individual
- A mature and professional individual who is self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- Able to communicate with all levels of management and peers within the organization.
- Building and maintaining relationships.
- Ability to handle conflict effectively
- Experience with Mobile application testing preferred
About the Team
The mission of the Global Scaled Solutions (GSS) team is to transform Uber's best ideas into agile, global solutions. The team is spread out globally between US (San Francisco, Palo Alto, Boulder), India (Hyderabad, Bangalore), Hong Kong, Singapore, and Amsterdam. The Global Scaled Solutions (GSS) is focused on delivering a range of capabilities/objectives to multiple Tech and business teams while maximizing value for Uber through solutions that are:
- Automated & Innovative
- Industry Leading
- Cross-organizational & Integrated
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.