At Uber, we are constantly looking for new product innovations that enables not only engaging and rewarding experiences for our Riders, but also makes lives easier for our Supply customer groups (drivers, restaurants, couriers, and truckers). There are two major opportunities that our Financial Products teams at Uber are focused on - 1) Building new payment experiences that not only incentivizes our Riders/Eaters, but also create business efficiency for Uber, 2) Helping our Supply customer groups effectively and efficiently manage and spend the money that they make on Uber.
Between new incentives like Uber Cash, partner products like co-branded credit/debit, gift cards, budgeting, effective saving tools, and access to affordable capital, there are endless opportunities for Uber to provide increasing value to our customers in this space. As Engineering Manager of this team, you will be focused on building, mentoring, and empowering the teams who bring these products to life, touching millions of customers' lives in the process.
You bring deep technical skills in all areas of backend or mobile engineering and excellent communication skills, a focused and empathetic approach to leadership, and a bold and action-biased attitude toward hard engineering problems.
- Design and implement new, end-to-end financial product experiences for Uber's Consumer and Supply bases, working within the Uber Rider/Driver/Eats/Restaurant apps
- Work cross-functionally with Engineering teams within the Financial Products organization across multiple sites, but also across the Rides and Eats Orgs to drive buy-in on new product experiences and engineering frameworks within the existing app architectures
- Work closely with your's and other engineering teams with a keen eye towards scalable architecture to design and implement new 0 -> 1 integrations with an appetite to quickly scale from 1 -> n across multiple international markets.
- Recruit & build an entirely new engineering team to tackle these exciting problems, spearheading the Financial Products team's presence in a new site (NYC)
- Evangelize your team and the products you own to both internal and external candidates
- Move fast in converting new ideas to product collaborating with Product, Design, Research, Data, Marketing and other functions, while maintaining high product quality and reliability.
- Staying ahead of the curve by lending a stable structure to the teams and products while bringing operational excellence as products mature.
What You'll Need
- 5+ years experience developing software as an IC engineer. Exceptional technical skills in backend or mobile engineering: Uber managers can lead from the front when the situation calls for it.
- Significant experience building and operating critical high-scale systems
- 3+ years for frontline and 7+ for senior second-line Engineering Management experience, managing a diverse set of candidates (fullstack, backend, mobile), across various technologies. Good software engineering methodology- meaningful and deeply-rooted opinions about testing and code quality, ability to make sound quality/speed trade-offs
- Expertise and interest in growing teams- interviewing junior and senior engineers, collaborating with a recruiting team, smoothly onboarding new team members
- Great management and team development skills: ability to set roadmap and goals for a team and every one of its members, delegate intelligently, mentor engineers, deliver frequent and honest feedback, help team members grow in their careers, and deliver results
- Both a passion for user experience and system design, as well as a strategic, growth-centric outlook on scaling new business lines
- A love for the unknown and building 0 -> 1. Note that this is a new team, working on a brand new product vision, spearheading a new site for the broader Financial Products organization
- Ability to drive cross-functional stakeholder buy-in across multiple Engineering organizations, offices, etc.
- Strong data-driven prioritization skills and unafraid to say no to any level of authority, when things don't look right.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.