About the Role
Uber is looking for a strong Engineering Manager to manage a significant part of the Vehicle engineering team.
The team builds mobile and web-based products that allow Driver Partners to get into ride-sharing in the cheapest way possible without a large capital investment and for car owners to optimize their business. We build products that empower owners of vehicles the world over to launch, manage and optimize their transportation businesses on Uber's platform.
As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for growing and shaping a Vehicle team in Seattle. You will partner with a wide range of stakeholders from across Uber, owning and evolving the roadmap and technical strategy for the Vehicle Solutions service.
What You'll Do
- Engineering Manager with the Vehicle Engineering team will lead the Vehicle Access team, optimizing the on-boarding experience to allow individual vehicle owners to global corporations to successfully build their businesses by partnering with Uber. Candidates will be passionate about engineering leadership and comfortable leading teams across the full technical stack.
- Manage and lead a team to build, develop and scale our Vehicle efforts.
- In partnership with Product Management and peer EMs, internalize, own, and provide creative vision for the product roadmap.
- Help evolve the underlying services architecture so that our products can scale with the rapidly changing needs of the business.
- Develop a bold technical strategy that integrates providing consistent and timely value to customers and building scalable and maintainable systems.
- Drive continual improvement in team effectiveness through evolving processes and mentoring engineers.
- In conjunction with your technical leads, teach agile technical skills such as TDD and pair-programming.
- Build a team culture of obsessive collaboration, pragmatic execution, and continual learning.
What You'll Need
- 5+ yrs management experience with at least 2 years of managing managers
- Candidate should have experience with consumer-product facing services, with preference to those focused on business growth and onboarding of customers
- Experience building highy-reliable , highly-scalable web services
- Engineering excellence: Past experience in successfully designing and building large-scale distributed systems with reliability and availability in mind. If your architecture can't scale to 100x at 99.99% availability, it won't work for Uber.
- Expertise: You have a solid knowledge of the whole web stack: front-end, back-end, databases, cache layer, HTTP protocol, TCP/IP, Linux, CPU architecture, etc.
- Bias towards action: You believe that speed and quality aren't mutually exclusive. You've shown good judgement about shipping as fast as possible while still making sure that products are built in a sustainable, responsible way -- and you're comfortable making mistakes, provided you learn from them.
- Superior teaching skills: You know that the most important part of your job is setting the team up for success. Through mentoring, teaching, and reviewing, you help other engineers make sound architectural decisions, improve their code crafting skills, and get out of their comfort zone.
- Passion and energy: Because you love what you do, you bring infectious enthusiasm to all your endeavors. You always perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, and grow.
- Hiring prowess: You're a strong interviewer who constantly raises the bar for excellence. You believe that what seems amazing one day becomes the norm the next day, and that each new hire should significantly improve the team.
- Design and business vision: You help your team understand requirements beyond the written word. Even in the absence of a PM or a designer, you show great attention to the design and product aspect of anything your team ships.
Bonus Points If
- You have worked on large-scale microservices based distributed systems.
- You have worked in a team that follows agile software engineering practices (scrum/kanban).
About the Team
The Vehicle Engineering team is helping drive Uber's rapid growth in some of the most important global markets. The team builds and owns mobile and web-based products that empower vehicle owners the world over to launch, manage and optimize their transportation businesses on Uber's platform, providing solutions for Drivers who need access to vehicles. We are in the first innings of defining this business domain and have a long runway of innovation and exploration in front of us. If you are excited by the opportunity to work in a newly emerging problem space, this is the team for you!
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 600 cities around the world. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
And that's just what we're doing today. We're thinking about the future, too. With teams working on new modalities, self-driving cars and even urban air transportation, we're in for the long haul. We're reimagining how people and things move from one place to the next.