Director of Business Development, Japan
About the Role
This is a unique opportunity to be a member of the Uber Business Development Organization. As Director of Business Development for Japan, you'll have the opportunity to shape and deliver a plan to scale usage of the Uber platform (Mobility and Delivery) among millions of consumers in the region.
Your responsibilities will include leading the Business Development team for Japan and driving the necessary business relationships at the C-level to establish partnerships that:
(1) Accelerate the growth of Uber users
(2) Increase supply available on the Uber platform
(3) Increase Uber's profitability and
(4) Accelerate Uber's platform strategy
We need a highly strategic, analytic, creative, and driven leader with a demonstrated track record of negotiating, executing, and managing high-value partnerships with large, complex, and global partners, spanning both private and public sectors. You'll be on the frontlines generating new business development opportunities for Uber while maintaining and expanding existing ones.
To succeed in this role, you will need a keen sense of responsibility, initiative, and an ability to inspire. You should feel comfortable working autonomously and in a team environment.
Successful candidates will bring a dynamic combination of IQ and EQ, an ability to think strategically and execute tactically, and strong interpersonal skills to maximize value in partnership negotiations. Someone who enjoys managing multiple deals in a complex but exciting environment, and is willing to put their energy to build long-lasting partnerships with high profile companies that unlock significant growth for Uber.
Essentially, a business-oriented strategist and negotiator with a sense of responsibility and initiative, capable of building partnerships to support a variety of high-priority Uber initiatives and who is comfortable working autonomously and in a team environment.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with Japan cross-functional leadership to formulate strategy and identify how to drive extraordinary impact to business priorities through business development activities
- Pursue, evaluate, support negotiations, and ensure execution of top business development opportunities in the region while working with key internal stakeholders and teams (e.g. product, engineering, operations, legal, etc.)
- Lead business development from a cohesive lens across multiple domains: vehicles, financial services, safety, risk, payments, media, events, airports, travel, public transportation and others
- Set, track, and report on partner performance metrics and give business reviews to Uber's C-level management team regarding progress in the business development space
- Handle a high volume of engagements and the fast pace of our company
- Support in the development of long-term, mutually beneficial relationships with senior executives of current and prospective partners
What You’ll Need
- Around 15 years of experience in business development with exposure to the tech industry, management consulting, investment banking, private equity, or corporate M&A experience - we will consider candidates with less experience if they meet our other requirements
- Experience with establishing, maintaining and leveraging C-level relationships at partner companies and extensive senior-level relationships with business leaders across multiple industries including technology and mobility
- Analytical skills with ability to combine business, strategy, finance and legal concepts to lead complex, multi-faceted deals
- Experienced in cultivating, negotiating, and growing business partnerships
- Strong interpersonal skills that allow you to build trust and negotiate hard with partners, and adeptly manage the cross-functional coordination (product, local operations, engineering, finance, legal) required to implement deals
- Adept at building and delivering presentations
- Adaptability to change within a fast-paced corporate environment
- Professional proficiency in English and Japanese
- MBA or equivalent highly desired
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
*Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See our Candidate Privacy Statement>
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada