Engineering Manager II: Platform Engineering - Network (Amsterdam)
We're changing the way people think about transportation. Not that long ago, we were just an app to request premium black cars in a few metropolitan areas. Now we're a part of the logistical fabric of more than 900 cities worldwide. Whether it's a ride, a sandwich, or a package, we use technology to give people what they want, when they want it.
For the people who drive with Uber, our app represents a flexible new way to earn money. For cities, we help strengthen local economies, improve access to transportation, and make streets safer.
About the Team
The Platform Engineering Team (PET) (Compute, Network, Storage, Reliability, and Hardware engineering, Corporate IT, and more) lies within the broader Uber Engineering group. The mission of the Platform Engineering team is to "Empower One Uber to innovate by building a world-class foundation that accelerates growth at scale."
The Network Team within PET is a group that is responsible for designing, building, operating, and developing data center networks, backbone networks and cloud networks for Uber at a global scale and the service mesh platform, internet traffic platform and mobile network stacks that connect Uber’s services to the world.
About the Role
As an Engineering Manager, you will report directly to the Director of Networking and have the opportunity to build a team and lead several essential projects that build a reliable and efficient software network platform, e.g. service mesh, edge and mobile network, network security for Uber.
The focus area includes
- Uber’s service mesh platform
- RPC platform
- Uber’s internet traffic platform and mobile network stacks
- Network security such as DDoS, encryption
It is an opportunity to join several greenfield projects to drive the platform architecture from the ground up and bring a significant impact, both technically and commercially.
What you will do
- Build an innovation and engineering-oriented team that build systems from scratch
- Lead your team in designing, building, and operating Uber’s network team together with US teams
- Lead your team to build software tools that facilitate network automation with US teams
- Lead your team to build the next generation of the service mesh platform of Uber
- Connect with teams within and outside Uber for clarifying the customers’ demands and features provided by your systems
- Create a diverse and inclusive culture for your team
- 4+ years of direct people management experience, including growing and mentoring engineers at different levels
- 7+ experience with systems software engineering. Sound understanding of computer architecture and CS fundamentals
- Experience in team building, organization design, project management, and delivery
- Clear and compelling written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Detailed problem-solving approach and knowledge of algorithms, data structures, and complexity analysis
- Ability to design large-scale distributed systems with fault tolerance, scalability, and performance optimizations
- Comfortable working with ambiguity in a constantly evolving environment
- Deep understanding of service mesh, RPC, edge and/or mobile network stacks
- Experiences in deploying and operating large-scale distributed systems in production environments
- Research background and/or experiences with innovative systems and products
- A solid understanding of designing based on metrics to achieve business objectives
- Domain expertise in the field of public cloud, on-prem hardware/data centers, computing, storage, networking, containers/orchestration, observability, big data, IT systems
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
*Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See our Candidate Privacy Statement>
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada