Sr. Product Manager - Platform Engineering - Observability
About the Team
The Platform Engineering team is a centralized team that provides infrastructure at scale and develops and maintains the underpinning technology stack that powers the rest of Uber. It focuses on areas such as Developer productivity, Production Engineering, Core Infrastructure, and Data Sciences. This team sets the pace of software development by creating a seamless developer experience for our Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) process. It houses the production engineering/SRE and observability practices that develop highly innovative tools and best practices for reliable and safe deployment of services. This team manages Uber’s massive infrastructure efficiently, safely, and for high scale! They also provide insights and analytical solutions that are timely, accurate, and actionable to power our platform. Thus, delivering a truly differentiating customer-facing experience across Uber Eats, Rides, and Freight!
About the Role
An outstanding production debugging experience is critical to Uber’s success. Uber has thousands of engineers who deploy and maintain several thousand microservices. In order for Uber to provide the best customer experience, it is essential for all services to run reliably in production with the least disruption. Therefore, our engineers must be able to predict, detect, and mitigate issues in production quickly and efficiently. This is only possible with the most innovative observability and production debugging tools that can run at Uber’s scale.
This role within our Platform Engineering organization owns Uber’s observability solutions and is supported by a dedicated engineering team, product designers, data scientists, and other internal teams.
What You'll Do
As a Senior Product Manager for Observability, you will use your quantitative skill set, customer obsession, empathy, and collaborative spirit to innovate and offer effective industry-leading observability and production debugging products and solutions.
- Own and drive Uber’s production debugging product roadmap, strategy, and execution by partnering closely with Uber’s Observability team
- Define how our teams measure success, by developing KPIs and OKRs
- Partner with your customers namely Uber’s engineering team to understand their problems, offer solutions and drive the adoption of those solutions
- Bring industry-leading practices and thought leadership for observability to Uber
- 5+ years of experience as a product manager
- M.S. or Bachelors degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields
- Prior experience working with site reliability engineering (SRE), deployment Ops, and/or Operations teams in SaaS environments
- Experience working with observability technologies such as Open Telemetry, Prometheus, Open Tracing, Jaeger, Grafana, Filebeat, Logstash, etc.
- Experience with observability or monitoring tools such as Datadog, New Relic, AppDynamics, Splunk, Solarwinds, AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.
- Experience in and understanding distributed systems and in particular microservices architectures (Eg: Kubernetes, service meshes)
- Deep Learning and Machine Learning to innovate across our observability stack for root–cause analysis and predictive issue detection among other use cases
- Strong storytelling: distill interesting and hard-to-find insights into a compelling, concise data story
- Ability to communicate effectively and manage relationships with partners coming from both technical and non-technical backgrounds
- Excellent judgment, critical thinking, and decision-making skills
- Ability to define complex business problems and articulate requirements that cross multiple product/project areas and teams
- Balance attention to detail with swift execution
- Ability and experience in extracting insights from data, and summarizing lessons/takeaways.
For San Francisco, CA-based roles: The base salary range for this role is $174,000 per year - $193,500 per year.
For Sunnyvale, CA-based roles: The base salary range for this role is $174,000 per year - $193,500 per year.
For all US locations, you will be eligible to participate in Uber's bonus program, and may be offered an equity award & other types of comp. You will also be eligible for various benefits. More details can be found at the following link https://www.uber.com/careers/benefits.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
See our Candidate Privacy Statement>
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada