COO - Director of Payment Operations
About the Role
Uber Payments UK (UPUK) was recently set up to serve as an e-money provider and processes half a billion transactions annually.
Our focus and primary role is to support and deliver best-in-class payment solutions and experiences on the Uber platform to our UK earners and spenders. We support Uber’s growing lines of business likeUber Eats and Uber Rides. We also partner with many stakeholders across the Uber Group and with external partners, such as PSPs, Payment Networks and various regulatory bodies.
The team set up by the GM of UPUK is growing and looking to appoint a key leadership position responsible for leading UPUK’s first line across new product initiatives, critical payment suppliers, internal service management, IT, and system performance.
The COO will oversee the services provided by other Uber entities and external partners. This role is crucial to ensuring UPUK meets its regulatory obligations whilst continually seeking to strengthen Uber’s proposition and utility to its earners and spenders, as well as further optimising its cost structure.
What You'll Do
- Responsible for control and oversight in relation to UPUK's Payment operations across Uber Group and with Payment suppliers (e.g., IT & Systems, Payment Operations and 3rd party suppliers)
- Maintain operational ownership of first-line activities, whether located internally within UPUK or with suppliers.
- Provide strategic input on UPUK’s growth initiatives from a payments operational perspective to ensure cost minimisation, good customer outcomes and regulatory compliance.
- Perform the role and function of active managing board member, supporting effective governance and control of the licensed entity.
- Responsible for ensuring operational resilience of UPUK in line with the FCA’s requirements and owning outsourcing policy; and business continuity and disaster recovery frameworks.
- Responsible for compliance operational activities such as complaints handling and reporting in line with FCA requirements
- Ensure that the development of the Uber Payment platform enables scalable expansion of compliance and operations infrastructure to the UK and supports LOBs in their ambitions whilst reaching operational efficiency.
- Ensure risks to UPUK’s day-to-day operations are managed and remain within the agreed risk appetite levels.
- Own the operational SLS process within UPUK, which ensures internal service provision meets agreed performance metrics, identifying remediation as needed.
- Implement policies, procedures, and controls to support the efficient running of the operational functions.
- Ensure all related FCA regulatory safeguards are in place and the business maintains regulatory compliance.
- Be able to constructively challenge at all levels - ensuring internal suppliers take ownership of their division’s financial and operational performance.
- Identify and drive operating and cost efficiencies within the entity and in services provided through vendor and outsourcing arrangements.
- You will have the opportunity to line manage two direct reports initially, with the potential for more as the function grows.
What You'll Need
- Proven experience in managing payment operations (ten years) as part of the 1st line activities and managing vendors and outsourcing relationships in an FCA-regulated entity (acquiring would be an advantage)
- Able to set and deliver high governance, systems and internal processes to meet FCA expectations;
- Experience managing-intra group relationships/service provision in a global organisation;
- Solid understanding and background in payment products, operations, finance, and supplier management (payments and e-money);
- Commitment to acting with integrity, with high personal work standards;
- Advanced communication skills and ability to influence others and manage relevant stakeholders;
- Effective problem solver with the ability to identify the root cause of a problem;
- You can comfortably and swiftly move from strategic thinking to being a hands-on leader and build trust across a broad range of stakeholders.
- Payment acquiring, Payment gateway experience
- Familiarity with engineering and development process; experience managing technical scope, timing, and prioritization.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s in business administration is a plus.
- Demonstrable experience in line management.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
*Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See our Candidate Privacy Statement>
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada