Uber Direct Lead, Portugal
Whether it’s a sandwich, a burrito, or groceries, the Uber Eats team builds technology to connect people with what they want, when and where they want it. Our Sales and Sales Operations teams are on the frontline introducing restaurant partners to Uber Eats and partnering with restaurants to grow our businesses together.
About the Role
Since 2020, Delivery at Uber has grown tremendously on the back of increased demand caused by the pandemic at the same time as we have expanded into new use cases and verticals like Grocery, Alcohol, Pick up and more. What has also become clear is that merchants across all categories have also increased their investment and interest in their digital and delivery offering. In many cases same day or next day will not be adequate as customers demand for immediate delivery is growing.
Without having their own on-demand logistics capability, merchants are looking for a partner who can fulfill the requirement for last-mile delivery. With millions of drivers and couriers providing on-demand logistics through our existing marketplaces, Uber Direct allows all merchants as well as aggregators and other platforms to use our network of couriers partners, fulfilling the on-demand last-mile-delivery service for orders on their own app and websites. Uber Direct has the potential to be our next multi-billion dollar business and is an important requirement for our existing marketplace partners.
Uber Direct is looking for a Lead in Portugal to support our business end-to-end. You will be responsible for designing a winning strategy and defining the go to market plan, while leading a commercial team responsible for closing the right partnerships, and growing those businesses through best-in-class account management. You will also need to coordinate with local, regional and global operations and marketplace teams to ensure continuous improvement for our Direct partners’ operations.
This role calls for a well-rounded combination of critical thinking, commercial skills, operational excellence and leadership. We operate in a fast paced environment, so we are looking for a highly adaptable candidate who is able to adjust between long-term pivotal initiatives one moment and rapid, tactical actions the next.
What You'll Do
- Strategy: Develop and drive alignment around a focussed growth strategy and go-to-market plan;
- Team Management: Lead and scale a team to achieve high growth targets;
- Sales: Closing the best partnerships with the right merchants, at the right commercials, with a commercial team;
- Account Management: Driving growth, operational excellence and financial sustainability with our merchant partners, with a team of Account Managers;
- Operations: Ensure end to end experience for our merchants is easy, and operations flow with high levels of reliability. Call out, resolve and improve when our experience is not at the desired level;
- Local Success: Supporting go-to-market campaigns for product rollouts, marketing campaigns and compliance initiatives, as well as guiding central teams to adapt and create best in class processes for your region;
- P&L Management: Achieving growth objectives within budget through constant P&L optimization;
- Leadership: Sit on the Portugal Delivery leadership team, having a strong voice in broader discussions including strategy, public policy, talent & culture, sponsoring and leading various initiatives across the wider business.
- A shown experience of at least 5 years in consulting, account management, sales, business development, or other related experience;
- Strong proficiency with numbers and analytical skills, critical thinking, data led decision making;
- Bachelor’s degree;
- English and Portuguese fluency;
- Experience with Excel modeling;
- Unparalleled business judgment and critical thinking skills with the ability to use data to quickly establish the highest value priorities and develop a strategy to pursue them;
- Ability to build positive relationships with external partners as well as internal customers;
- Willingness to hustle, roll up sleeves, and get in the weeds with our highest value partners;
- Strong intuition for business, allowing you to analyze complex situations and elaborate solutions;
- Fluent in Portuguese and English.
- Proficiency in Portuguese and English;
- Master’s degree or MBA;
- Ability to lead and develop a team, ideally in a fast-growth environment, with senior profiles;
- SQL or other data tools;
- Leadership: ability to rally and empower a team behind a common goal, even in constantly evolving situations and innovative environments.
- Problem solving & operational excellence: a constant appetite and ability to analyze complex situations using a vast range of inputs, drawing simple conclusions and translating them into practical plans. We operate with imperfect data in a constantly evolving environment, and need a leader capable of translating cross-functional inputs into logical conclusions and simple plans.
- Commercial skills: ability to build a creative commercial strategy in a diversity of markets, closing quality deals under intense competitive pressure. We are looking for a leader who understands our merchant partners’ motivations, is capable of navigating difficult commercial conversations and can mentor their team in delivering operational excellence with our partners.
- Business sense: ability to link our business performance metrics and P&L with our team’s actions on the ground. This role is responsible for tight P&L management, which requires a strong understanding of our unit economics and the key drivers of our revenues and costs.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
*Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, please reach out to email@example.com.
See our Candidate Privacy Statement>
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada