Electrification Lead, UK
About the Role:
The UK is at the forefront of Uber’s global efforts on electrification, with almost 8,000 electric vehicles on the app in London - more than any other Uber city globally. However there is still significant work to do. We have a bold ambition to be 100% electric in London by 2025, which will require over 50,000 electric vehicles on the app. We are also operating from a less advanced position across the rest of the UK, where a lack of the enabling policies and practices that we have seen in London is reflected in the much smaller volume of electric vehicles seen on our platform across the rest of the UK cities.
As the Electrification Lead for the UK you will be responsible for leading the team in its mission to make Uber 100% electric in London by 2025, and across the rest of the UK by 2030. Your team will also be responsible for Vehicles in general across the UK - ensuring that drivers have access to vehicle solutions (both electric and non-electric) so that lack of an affordable vehicle is never a barrier to engaging with the platform, setting our vehicle policies and handling all of our product and tooling related to vehicles.
You will work with Uber’s Business Development team to negotiate and offer affordable electric vehicle solutions to drivers. Your team will also lead the £200m+ Clean Air Fund to allow all drivers on the app to upgrade to fully electric vehicles over the next 5 to 10 years. Driver education and engagement strategies will be required to support drivers through the process of switching to an electric vehicle from the initial point of consideration. You will also develop and complete our plans to stimulate investment in appropriate infrastructure, ensuring drivers have access to the right chargers at the right locations. This will involve building on our external relationships in the industry to influence our requirements for cities across the UK.
Outside of London you will understand the complexities and challenges each city faces in transitioning to become zero-emission. You will work closely with our Policy and Communications team to influence local policy makers to help ensure that the vital environment is in place to support our goal of being zero-emission across the UK by 2030. You will then solve the challenges that a driver might face across those cities in upgrading to an electric vehicle so that the process is positive and streamlined.
You will ideally have a rare combination of operational and process management experience as well as analytical problem-solving, strategic vision setting and the ability to build and work collaboratively across a wide range of teams and functions to deliver results. We are looking for someone passionate about our mission to build sustainable cities for the future.
What You’ll Do:
- Design, continuously improve and scale the operations of the Clean Air Plan to allow all drivers on the app to upgrade to fully-electric vehicles over the next 5-10 years
- Lead the financial risk of £200M+ Clean Air Fund, build robust revenue operations and account for the use of future investments of any unused funds
- Set and deliver the UKI electrification strategy to meet our ambitions for a sustainable future
- Work closely with cross-functional groups across UK&I, EMEA and HQ-specific teams to align on our global electrification vision and identify business problems or opportunities
- Present quantified, data-driven recommendations with clear proposed next steps for any clean air initiatives in other UK cities
- Lead external relationships with key industry players, for example, land owners, utilities, charge point operators, consultants and other industry players alongside our Business Development teams
- Lead broader vehicle operations for the UK business - ensuring appropriate vehicle solutions are in place for all drivers wanting to use the platform across all UK cities, setting our policies in terms of the types of vehicle allowed on the platform for various products, and leading all of our tooling and processes related to vehicles
What you’ll Need
- Experience of minimum 7 years
- Operational and process management and improvement expertise in a customer facing environment
- Passionate about Uber’s mission for the future of cities
- Strong project management skills - the ability to prioritise and optimally drive a project from beginning to end - no matter what
- Ability to establish relationships with senior partners across the region and at HQ in SF but also be able to roll up sleeves and get into the details and execution
- Ability to work cross-functionally - with colleagues from Policy, Business Development, Legal, Product, Marketing, Community Operations and Central Operations
- Ability to operate independently as well as shown ability to develop a team
- Strong analytical and technical expertise, as well as presentation and operational skills
- Strategic problem solver, able to work through complex, high level challenges and recommend short and long term solutions
- Strong ability to establish relationships, credibility and influence with external third parties
- Existing experience working in the electric vehicle, charging infrastructure industry would be ideal but not required
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We’ve grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
Uber is committed to a safe workplace. We have implemented COVID-19 safety protocols that meet or exceed local public health guidelines. Workplace safety remains our number one priority. As a result, and depending on the workplace location, Uber either requires* or recommends employees be vaccinated to access any of our facilities; this is subject to change solely at the Company’s discretion.
\* Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, please reach out to email@example.com.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada