Staff Software Engineer, Eats | Aarhus, Denmark
About the Role
Whether it's a sandwich, a burrito, or groceries, the Uber Eats team builds technology to connect people with what they want, when and where they want it. The Eats Engineering team in Denmark is responsible for building the product catalog and inventory system that powers the Uber Eats experience and related verticals, such as groceries. This is one of the foundational components of the Eats architecture, as it interfaces with merchants, powers our local graph, and serves recommendations to our customers. The system is designed to be highly-available and highly-scalable to support our global operation.
What You'll Do
Sr Staff engineers at Uber have a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology decisions spanning multiple projects and locations. They are passionate and pragmatic technologists who are able to design, implement and deliver scalable and resilient systems. They are not only collaborative role models, but also approachable leaders within a larger group. They are humble teachers, technically mentoring a team of dedicated engineers while also delivering uniquely challenging projects.
- Contribute at a global level. Although we are based in Denmark, we work on integration for the overall, global Delivery platform. Our Inventory Catalog supports millions of merchants all across the globe
- Lead scale & reliability. Building this platform at scale requires constant investment in scalability and reliability.
- Innovate. Growth brings new complexity and new challenges every day.
- Translate business or tech problem(s) into one or more efficient technology solutions and plan on bringing these to life while working across several teams.
- Set the pragmatic vision for technology across multiple teams that will allow engineers to deliver efficiently, with high quality.
- Collaborate with others, from versatile team members within your group, through technologists in other functions like machine learning, AI or data science, to responsible leaders across Uber. Build up strong relationships with people in the organization.
- Provide technical leadership and vision in designing, implementing, testing and rolling out the next generations of our payments systems.
- Up the bar on sustainable engineering by improving methodologies, producing best in class of code, documentation, testing and monitoring.
- Be a humble mentor and trusted advisor for both our team members and passionate leaders alike. Deal with a difference in opinions in a mature and fair way, helping teams to commit and move forward.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.).
- 7+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- A track record of building large-scale, highly-available systems that solve complex, organizational level business problems.
- Expert and hands-on understanding of fault-tolerant systems and multi-datacenter/cloud architectures.
- Advanced, inside-out knowledge of multiple programming languages, data store systems and message queue. We use programming languages like Go, Java, Python, data stores like Cassandra, Schemaless, Redis and MQs like Kafka.
- Passion for driving continual improvement initiatives on engineering best practices like coding, testing or monitoring.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
- Passionate about helping teams grow by inspiring and mentoring engineers.
- Deep, industry leading expertise in one or more technology domains.
- Experience with large-scale eCommerce or CMS systems
- Experience with user-data analytics and personalization
- Machine Learning Experience
- Contributed to the broader technical community through tech talks, publications, open source projects or other ways.
- Batch and/or Streaming computation platforms
Visit our Engineering Blog to learn about examples of engineering challenges we tackle at Eats Engineering in Denmark: www.uber.com/en-NL/blog/deduping-and-storing-images-at-uber-eats/
Explore Uber benefits on www.uber.com/dk/en/careers/internationalbenefits/ or feel free to reach out to our team to learn more about our full benefits for Denmark.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber's cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
Uber is committed to a safe workplace. We have implemented COVID-19 safety protocols that meet or exceed local public health guidelines. Workplace safety remains our number one priority. As a result, and depending on the workplace location, Uber either requires* or recommends employees be vaccinated to access any of our facilities; this is subject to change solely at the Company's discretion.
- Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, please reach out to email@example.com.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada